The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: why can't scientists reanimate dead bodies ?  (Read 22737 times)

Offline myriam

• Many things are still like the Terre incognita
    • View Profile
    • powerful point
why can't scientists reanimate dead bodies ?
« on: 13/05/2010 21:25:10 »

Hello there

I heard that some scientists have made a bacteria in  lab  and it was extremely difficult so can they reanimate dead organisms.

seems crazy!!

what do you think

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2010 23:46:59 »
Funny co-incidence: I just bought a copy of Young Frankenstein yesterday.

When organisms die they start to deteriorate pretty quickly and undergo physiological changes, so while a recently dead organism might not look very different to a living one, at the microscopic level a lot of changes, causing permanent damage, will have already occurred.

[edited]
« Last Edit: 14/05/2010 17:46:19 by LeeE »

Offline myriam

• View Profile
    • powerful point
« Reply #2 on: 14/05/2010 11:23:33 »
Thank you LeeE

Interesting

but I mean is there an original part in the body of mammals for example from which the body can be reanimated after its deterioration ?

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 14/05/2010 17:48:02 »
but I mean is there an original part in the body of mammals for example from which the body can be reanimated after its deterioration ?

I'm sorry, but I'm don't quite understand exactly what you mean there.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/05/2010 18:31:44 »
In a sense there is and "original part". You could get any cell that's not too badly degraded and take the DNA from it and, in principle, clone the original organism.
However the clone wouldn't be exactly the same as the original and, in particular, it wouldn't have the memories of the original, nor things like resistance to disease.
(I have been vaccinated against tuberculosis, but a clone of me would have no immunity).
There's also the problem that cloning has a success rate that's practically zero.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/05/2010 22:51:19 »
Organ / limb / face transplants are sort of "reanimation".
« Last Edit: 14/05/2010 22:54:33 by RD »

Offline myriam

• View Profile
    • powerful point
« Reply #6 on: 14/05/2010 23:58:54 »
as far as I know there is that part of the body of mammals at the end of the vertebral column the is a small bone where all the genome  of the body is stored.
some scientist  has transplanted cells from that bone into a rat body i think , and has observed that this cell migrates to its original place on the vertebral column !!

I'm sorry, but I'm don't quite understand exactly what you mean there.

Offline ricbritain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/05/2010 01:38:07 »
The genome is present in each cell of the body, not just one.

Offline myriam

• View Profile
    • powerful point
« Reply #8 on: 17/05/2010 13:15:39 »
we know that  ricbritain

I mean  from this part of the body you can reanimate the original body, not a copy of it.

it is as a central unit which can store even memories   

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17/05/2010 21:35:40 »
If it were true that some little bit of the body stored all them memories then why is it that
Brain damage often results is lost memory.
and
Damage to other bits of the body generally doesn't lead to lost memory.

If (and it's a big "if") the body keeps a spare copy, why doesn't it ever get used?
It seems a bit silly to me.

Offline myriam

• View Profile
    • powerful point
« Reply #10 on: 17/05/2010 21:59:59 »
no it is not silly trust me

and who tells that it can't be used , we just know an ε from what we see and touch , comparing our selves to the universe what could we say, what could we say?;) 

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18/05/2010 00:01:08 »
There was a really bad horror film about this made in the 80s (I think or maybe the 90s) called the re-animator Greats scene where a headless guy is feeling up the heroine while his severed head rolls his eyes around in a pan next to the girl.

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18/05/2010 00:19:44 »
Legally, at least in the United States, death is when brain activity comes to an end. This is called "brain death". "Life" is a very complex chemical reaction. In higher animals death is ALWAYS caused when the brain becomes so damaged it can no longer function. This usually happens due to lack of oxygen. Brains are very very oxygen hungry and become damaged as soon as it runs out.

The bodily damage is not caused by death, rather the damage leads to death.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18/05/2010 07:20:00 »
Before we go any further I think it falls to Myriam to provide some evidence for the claims that "from this part of the body you can reanimate the original body, not a copy of it.

it is as a central unit which can store even memories   ".
Without some evidence, that idea has nothing to do with science.

Offline myriam

• View Profile
    • powerful point
« Reply #14 on: 18/05/2010 11:29:34 »
You are right Bored chemist I 've already mentioned  the experiment that has been done to prove this  but  I'll present it more explicitly

The experiment is to take some cells from  an very small bone situated in the end of the vertebral column  and transplant it in an other part of the body  head for example, the amazing result was that those Cells migrate always to there originale position : that small bone.

Also after death bone can be entirely degraded except that small bone which remain  very resistant so it can be the only source of DNA left

and the strongest proof is what was written in the holy book 'koran'  1400 years ago that dead bodies will be reanimated , brought to life again to be judged

So doing that experiment on that small bone helps us discover and  understand at the same time an unknown precious part of  our bodies

what do you think ?

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18/05/2010 11:56:43 »
and the strongest proof is what was written in the holy book 'koran'  1400 years ago that dead bodies will be reanimated , brought to life again to be judged

Ah.

what do you think ?

I think this is nonsense. (Declaration of lack-of-interest: I'm an atheist, and whilst some religious texts may have useful and interesting things to say about the human condition I don't consider any of them to have any more literal truth than the various legends of Robin Hood or King Arthur, if so much).

Can you point us to any evidence beyond your holy book? You talk about these experiments as if they had been carried out. When? By whom? Where are their results documented?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18/05/2010 12:02:23 »
I think what BoredChemist was after was links to a scientific write up.  any amount of asserting an idea is not proof nor evidence (no matter where this is written) - what is required is a theory which predicts certain results and a series of repeatable experiments to test these results.  

through my scant knowledge of archaeology ( i am not even sure how to spell it) I believe that bones, tissue and especially teeth are all sources of dna after death - and have never heard of the coccyx being extraordinarily good.

Offline myriam

• View Profile
    • powerful point
« Reply #17 on: 18/05/2010 13:32:06 »
all right then , I heard about that experiment 2 years ago at it really makes sense to me.. well, because  first I'm not an atheist and second because I don't judge any thing from the first sight

By posting this question I was wondering if you've ever heard about what I heard so try to understand this together :)

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19/05/2010 09:31:49 »
You are right Bored chemist I 've already mentioned  the experiment that has been done to prove this  but  I'll present it more explicitly

The experiment is to take some cells from  an very small bone situated in the end of the vertebral column  and transplant it in an other part of the body  head for example, the amazing result was that those Cells migrate always to there originale position : that small bone.

Also after death bone can be entirely degraded except that small bone which remain  very resistant so it can be the only source of DNA left

So doing that experiment on that small bone helps us discover and  understand at the same time an unknown precious part of  our bodies

what do you think ?

Our society has gotten into quite a bit of trouble taking religious text as scientific truth. It lead directly to the Dark Ages. Over 1000 years of scientific stagnation. Imagine we had landed on the moon in 969 rather than 1969, or have the atomic bomb invented in 945 rather than 1945. Where would we be today? Maybe we would all be air pollution by now. But just maybe we'd live in a very different world.

There has been quite a lot of change in technology in the 20th century. Imagine what life will be like in 2110....now try to imagine 3010! That's where we would be today had it not been for the Dark Ages....

Offline myriam

• View Profile
    • powerful point
« Reply #19 on: 19/05/2010 11:13:49 »

what do you think ?

Our society has gotten into quite a bit of trouble taking religious text as scientific truth. It lead directly to the Dark Ages. Over 1000 years of scientific stagnation. Imagine we had landed on the moon in 969 rather than 1969, or have the atomic bomb invented in 945 rather than 1945. Where would we be today? Maybe we would all be air pollution by now. But just maybe we'd live in a very different world.

There has been quite a lot of change in technology in the 20th century. Imagine what life will be like in 2110....now try to imagine 3010! That's where we would be today had it not been for the Dark Ages....

I think that the society which has gotten into quite a bit of trouble taking religious text as scientific truth is a society where its members have missed a lot of useful  things for the human Life given by religious text  just because of 2 things :
-They are being more and more materialistic  so they rely more on the  technology results and don't care about what was said before 1400 by faithful source , that's why we heare a lot of  ...religion = I'm not interested, it is very normal since the happiness has a limited meaning  to him
or
- a Big misunderstanding of the religious text   

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19/05/2010 18:52:25 »

what do you think ?

Frankly I think the "evidence" is in two parts, the first is hearsay and wouldn't be admitted as evidence in any court and the second is an odd deduction based on what I consider to be a fairy tale anyway.
If there were a God who wanted to resurrect us all, why would He start with the coccyx?

Incidentally, Re. "I think that the society which has gotten into quite a bit of trouble taking religious text as scientific truth is a society where its members have missed a lot of useful  things for the human Life given by religious text "
Name three.

Offline myriam

• View Profile
    • powerful point
« Reply #21 on: 19/05/2010 19:16:08 »

what do you think ?

Frankly I think the "evidence" is in two parts, the first is hearsay and wouldn't be admitted as evidence in any court and the second is an odd deduction based on what I consider to be a fairy tale anyway.
If there were a God who wanted to resurrect us all, why would He start with the coccyx?

Incidentally, Re. "I think that the society which has gotten into quite a bit of trouble taking religious text as scientific truth is a society where its members have missed a lot of useful  things for the human Life given by religious text "
Name three.
All we are trying to do here is an attempt to understand, the truth is there anyway
and see it or not  depends on us actually.
reanimation will start from the coccyx or any other part of the body isn't a problem for the Creator , cause he how tells us "tales" in all his holly books brings the sunlight from Est not the west, which  of these tow phenomena seems more complecated according to you

Offline norcalclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19/05/2010 19:31:07 »

what do you think ?

Name three.
All we are trying to do here is an attempt to understand, the truth is there anyway
reanimation will start from the coccyx or any other part of the body isn't a problem for the Creator , cause he how tells us "tales" in all his holly books brings the sunlight from Est not the west, which  of these tow phenomena seems more complecated according to you

Um.... where to start?

The sun rising in the East is simply due to the rotation of the Earth.  If it was spinning the other way the sun would rise in the West.  This doesn't really seem complicated to me.  Reanimation from the coccyx though?

Offline myriam

• View Profile
    • powerful point
« Reply #23 on: 19/05/2010 20:02:41 »

what do you think ?

Name three.

Um.... where to start?

The sun rising in the East is simply due to the rotation of the Earth.  If it was spinning the other way the sun would rise in the West.  This doesn't really seem complicated to me.  Reanimation from the coccyx though?

right norcalclimber, but if you dig  a littel bit deeper in the question you'll realise that the tow components of the question are earth and sun and that what I was waiting to be taken into considerations , so if we wanna make it more clear , what is the more complicated to do creating a sun and an earth or reanimating a dead creature?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19/05/2010 21:02:39 »
"All we are trying to do here is an attempt to understand, the truth is there anyway "
And we do that by looking at the world, not by reading an old book.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 19/05/2010 21:02:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length