The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where did HIV come from?  (Read 4310 times)

Mailula, Cypro

Where did HIV come from?
« on: 15/05/2010 20:30:02 »
Mailula, Cypro  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Chris,

I'm one of your listeners on 702 Talk radio in SA. I couldn't get to ask this question on radio but I've been wondering:

How is/was the HIV formed?

I am asking this in trying to understand if two or more HIV negative people can create the virus by continuous sexual intercourse.

This is also to understand if all viruses originated from the same source and spread all over the world or various strains of the virus originated in various places.

Thank you,

Cypro.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 15/05/2010 20:30:02 by _system »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Where did HIV come from?
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2010 18:52:57 »
How is/was the HIV formed?

Have a read of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiv#Origins

I am asking this in trying to understand if two or more HIV negative people can create the virus by continuous sexual intercourse.

No, the virus could not arise purely due to frequent sexual intercourse over a long period of time (continuous means without stopping, which would imply that the people involved did nothing but copulate over whatever period you're thinking of i.e. several years?).

This is also to understand if all viruses originated from the same source and spread all over the world or various strains of the virus originated in various places.

If the disease is the same then it will have originated from the same source.  Evolution is the result of random mutation, which means that the chances of exactly the same mutation, out of all the possible mutations, which are nearly infinite in number, occurring in two or more different organisms i.e. parallel evolution, is correspondingly infinitesimally small.  Where different strains of the virus have developed it is due to the original strain multiplying, so that there are many instances of it, and one of these instances then undergoes further mutation, becoming different to the original strain.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Where did HIV come from?
« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2010 17:34:15 »
I answered a question on the origins of HIV in some detail in another post.

Here's the link:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=699.msg5916#msg5916

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

Where did HIV come from?
« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2010 17:34:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums