The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Stuttering ?..what's that all about ?  (Read 4366 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Stuttering ?..what's that all about ?
« on: 28/12/2005 18:45:43 »
I think we may have touched on this before but I could find no post related to it.

What exactly is stuttering...and how comes it goes away when singing ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
« Last Edit: 28/12/2005 19:11:13 by neilep »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Stuttering ?..what's that all about ?
« Reply #1 on: 01/01/2006 11:45:39 »
Are you referring, in particular, to that caterwauling moose Gareth Gates? That well-known sufferer of Talent Deficit Disorder?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/01/2006 16:15:17 »
What's wrong with Gareth ?...(no need to answer that...this site can't support such an extensive chronicle !)

Well, yes, Gareth and people of his rhetorical ilk !.....what about non humans ?...does a cat stutter ? does a dolphin stammer ?....does a bear **** in the woods ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #3 on: 01/01/2006 17:09:27 »
I would have thought with singing your not having to think about what word comes next
your brain becomes conditioned (if thats the right word)to the song that you have learnt.
However when you talk there many different ways to say the same thing, each word you speak could be followed with various different ones. which can causes a sort of word jam in  brains of those who stutter.

Michael                 HAPPY NEW YEAR                    

ROBERT

« Reply #4 on: 05/01/2006 13:54:32 »
http://www.rogerknapp.com/medical/stutter.htm

""Sigmund Freud wrote that the etiology of stuttering was "for the most part" psychological. Later, he stated that "stammering could be caused by displacement upward of conflicts over excremental functions"' Freud felt the adult stutterer's speech mechanism was enmeshed in a conflict between the wish to defecate symbolically on his parents and authority figures by using hostile words and a concurrent fear of retaliation that caused the stutterer to hold the fecal-oriented words inside.""

http://www.rogerknapp.com/medical/stutter.htm

Personally I think Sigmund is the one talking Sh*t. People who have brain injuries as adults can develop speech impediments: stuttering is neurogenic not psychogenic as scatological Siggy states.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2006 14:02:04 by ROBERT »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/01/2006 14:23:27 »
Robert - Back in my undergrad days I wrote an essay on Freud. Strangely enough, my conclusion was that he was talking sh*t. [:I]

Offline MooseHole

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/01/2006 00:13:48 »
So maybe it's something like a less severe form of Tourette's Syndrome.  People with Tourette's Syndrome have tics which can sometimes make them twitch, and other times make them say exactly what they don't want to say.  Many people with these tics can catch what they're about to do and deal with it.  For example, this one guy always starts to say, "Nigger" when he sees a black person.  Of course, that's exactly what he's trying not to say at the time, so he catches mid-word and says, "Ni-ckels pennies dimes quarters," so he sounds crazy instead of like a jerk.  Maybe people who stutter also catch themselves doing something similar, but they just catch themselves sooner.  This would also relate to what Freud was saying about "wanting" to act out against authority but fearing the consequences.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/01/2006 13:03:53 »
quote:
This would also relate to what Freud was saying about "wanting" to act out against authority but fearing the consequences

I have no problem with many of the theories put forward by Freud. What I do have a problem with, however, is the underlying causes he proposed. It's blatantly obvious that many people want to act out against authority but fear the consequences. Personally, I'd like to go into a bank & walk out with all the money, but I don't want to spend the next 15 years in prison! I do not, however, believe that my desire for that money is a result of potty-training. (OK, I know that's not exactly what he said... but it's close enough without going into the technicalities of psychoanalysis)
It has to be remembered that Freud lived in a very patriarchal society with strict moral codes, & that the subjects for his research were wealthy (& his research involved very few of them at that).
What I do like about psychoanalysis, though, is the elegance of the id, ego & superego theory. I think that has some merit.

ROBERT

« Reply #8 on: 10/01/2006 10:11:55 »
Stuttering is neurogenic, not psychogenic, this can be demonstrated:-
anyone can be made to stutter if they listen to their voice on headphones and an electronic delay of a fraction of a second is introduced between them uttering a sound and hearing it via the headphones.

Stuttering is an intermittent electrical fault: a signal processing error.
Speech therapy may reduce or stop stammering, psychoanalysis will not.

PS
if Sigmund's theory was correct people would only stutter when talking to, or about, authority figures.
In reality stutterers stutter no matter who they are talking to.
« Last Edit: 11/01/2006 16:16:53 by ROBERT »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 10/01/2006 10:11:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums