The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Semantic Pragmatic Language Disorder  (Read 8317 times)

drkev

Semantic Pragmatic Language Disorder
« on: 28/12/2005 22:11:29 »
just went on a date with a girl I met online and found out that she has SPLD. Very very difficult to deal with but She is a nice girl so I will probably see her again.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I have researched it as best I can but the science books don't tell you how to live with it.

Not sure if I am ready for such a big committment (with anyone) as I qualify as a lawyer in June and my studies are tough (way tougher than medicine!)

Any suggestions? In case anyone doesn't know, SPLD is the speech disorder which Dustin Hoffman's character has in Rainman; there is plenty of freely available information on the net so I won't repeat it here but to summarise:

Sufferers have great trouble understanding things such as "pull your socks up" and will take the phrase literally. They learn to speak by repeating phrases and will often use inappropriate phrases.

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Semantic Pragmatic Language Disorder
« Reply #1 on: 28/12/2005 23:07:17 »
Wow Kevin !  That must have been some date !...did you not know about the SPLD prior to it ?  

Good luck in your research and I hope ot all works out.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

drkev

« Reply #2 on: 29/12/2005 01:03:05 »
Never knew about the SPLD beforehand and never knew what it was. It was a strange date and the conversations were err strange to say the least as the girl took everything literally. I said I could murder an Indian and the poor girl was horrified (I meant that I could really do with an Indian meal as I was really hungry!)

We did laugh about it though and the girl isn't affected as badly as some people. She does have therapy for the condition and it is simply a case of her remembering what is an idiom and what isn't. Must be very hard, it reminds me of when I tell a joke to an oriental person (they don't usually understand sarcasm) but I had a lovely meal.

Looking at my waist line I need to eat less takeaway food and start hitting the punch bag again (keen martial artist!)

Apparently SPLD sufferers have trouble distinguishing between wether something is a question or not.

I would soooo write an essay about this if I was still at Southampton! (With consent of course)

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/12/2005 16:50:30 »
Have you seen these sites?

http://www.geocities.com/denisev2/

http://www.hyperlexia.org/sp4.html

The 1st is a very useful resource centre for families living with a sufferer of SPD.

The 2nd site is mainly about children with Hyperlexia & SPD, but still has good information.

I have recently become very interested in ASD and I've come across SPD in my studies. However, most of the sites I've seen are concerned with diagnosis in children & discussions on what exactly SPD is. If you come across any other sites with remedial information I'd be very appreciative if you could post the links here.

I hope things go well for you & your ladyfriend!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31/12/2005 16:54:11 »
quote:
Not sure if I am ready for such a big committment (with anyone) as I qualify as a lawyer in June and my studies are tough (way tougher than medicine!)

I hope that remark was tongue-in-cheek as Dr Chris is a nasty piece of work when angered! :D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/12/2005 18:52:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by drkev

We did laugh about it though and the girl isn't affected as badly as some people. She does have therapy for the condition
Kevin Fisher

What kind of therapy is she receiving ?...I gather there are no drugs involved !...and that she is fully aware of her condition...does she understand it fully too ?.....this is fascinating...without seeming to denigrate her in the slightest, I hope you can ' report ' here your progress (if any)....(actually I'm just a snooping into your private life !!;)).....

Your date by date reports will be most welcome !;)

OOPS...thanks for the Links Eth...nice !

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
« Last Edit: 31/12/2005 18:52:48 by neilep »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/12/2005 19:00:36 »
I have my uses

drkev

« Reply #7 on: 01/01/2006 15:28:51 »
She does not have any drug therapy at all, just a support worker who helps her. It is a communication problemin that she has difficulty communicating much like a deaf person would. The problem stems from the way sufferers learn to speak. Instead of learning what words mean, they copy phrases which they hear. So she simply needs to learn English properly and gets daily tutoring for this.

She isn't badly affected, just sometimes misunderstands things and takes a long time to learn new things.

She's a bit upset at the moment because she went for a job interview and they offered her the job but withdrew the offer when she told them about her condition. You would be completely unaware that there was anything wrong with her unless she told you. I am currently suing them under the Disabilities Discrimination Act.

My Sister is deaf as well but doesn't tell anyone she just lipreads. She is too "proud" (I say stubborn) to tell anyone. She has trouble getting jobs as well.

That is why I am now a lawyer (well nearly) because this kind of treatment is unfair.

S (my girl) is fully aware of her condition and leads a perfectly normal life until someone is sarcastic or says a typically English phrase and she will take it literally but you would think She had an extra leg or something the way people treat her (wouldn't mind if she had an extra boob like that woman from total recall!)

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

SPDSupport

« Reply #8 on: 13/01/2006 09:49:51 »
Hi Kev,

Have you heard of our organisation SPD Support?
http://www.spdsupport.org.uk, has plenty of detailed information about SPD, together with a UK support forum.

http://www.spdsupport.org.uk/whatisspd.html is just one of the pages that describes the disorder and the difficulties encountered by an individual.

The SPD Support Organisation is a non charity, internet based, voluntary organisation of parents and professionals based in the United Kingdom, who aim to provide quality information, advice and support to parents/carers and professionals supporting those diagnosed with SPD. The Executive Committee is advised by our professional advisor, Speech and Language Therapist Lisa Houghton BSc(Hons) MRCSLT HPC ASLTIP, so you can be assured that any information you receive through the site is of good quality and checked for accuracy.

If you have any further questions or your girlfriend needs support or advice, please don't hesitate to pop into the message board. We already have an adult with SPD who has written his own articles for the site that you might find interesting and I'm sure our good friend will give you good advice,through experiencing the disorder first hand, as will all of the other parents and professionals involved with the site.
If I can be of further help, please dont hesistate to contact me.
Kind Regards
Babs:)
Exec Chair
http://www.spdsupport.org.uk

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13/01/2006 22:14:40 »
Babs - thanks for the links.

SPDSupport

« Reply #10 on: 13/01/2006 23:20:46 »
No problem [8D]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 13/01/2006 23:20:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines