The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do black holes provoke Big Bangs?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Andrew Bennett

• First timers
    • View Profile
Do black holes provoke Big Bangs?
« on: 18/05/2010 08:30:02 »
Andrew Bennett asked the Naked Scientists:

Could a singularity inside a black hole within another universe be the cause of the Big Bang which created ours?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 18/05/2010 08:30:02 by _system »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2010 09:44:11 »
I think that it is a better than a 50-50 chance that it is but the processes that could cause this to happen are not yet fully worked out.  This means that any detailed explanation lies in the new theories area and I have posted ideas to this effect but let me just mention one important philosophical point.

Any true theory of everything must include ALL space and time in its compass and the big bang as currently configured cannot do this because things must haver existed before the big bang and even if ours fades out with a whimper other structures must exist to create more big bangs and some of  these most likely exist within our visible universe.  Black hole collapse is clearly a good contender for this process.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2010 19:33:24 »
I think there may be some mileage in this idea too, but I think that the new universe that was created inside a BH would have to be of a lower dimensional order than the universe that the 'host' BH was a part of i.e. if our four-dimensional universe is within a BH then that BH exists within a five-dimensional universe.  Similarly, any universes that might exist within BHs in our four-dimensional universe would only be three-dimensional.

Part of the reasoning behind this is that there is infinite n-dimensional space within a finite sized n+1-dimensional space.  For example, there is room for an infinite number of zero-dimensional geometric points along a one-dimensional line of finite length, just as there is room for an infinite length one-dimensional line within a finite two-dimensional area, and so on...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2010 19:33:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums