The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what is the speed of the brain?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline myriam

• Many things are still like the Terre incognita
    • View Profile
    • powerful point
what is the speed of the brain?
« on: 18/05/2010 22:43:37 »
Can I know the speed of my brain, I think my brain is becoming lazy
is there any possibility to make it run faster

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 23/05/2010 21:51:45 »
It depends what you mean by the speed of the brain. Conscious processing is very slow - the evidence suggests that we are all living in a world that is at least 1/3rd of a second behind what is really happening. In other words, if you record brain activity and compare it with when people actually report being consciously aware of a stimulus, you can see that the brain activity alters - registering detection of the stimulus - at least 300ms before the person reports conscious awareness of it. Vision is also a slow system - just to process light through the retina takes almost 1/10th of a second. That said, not every brain activity needs to pass through consciousness; much of it is automatic and very fast - so fast, in fact, that tenis players at Wimbledon cannot possibly be reacting consciously to the ball coming over the net.

So, in answer to your question, it's very hard to define what speed the brain runs at, because there are so many different aspects to brain function, all of them executed at different speeds and rates for different reasons.

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 23/05/2010 21:51:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums