The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Singing Notation documents?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
Singing Notation documents?
« on: 23/05/2010 13:09:15 »
Hey there

Is there any notation available for singing? Like the guitar tab documents or piano documents.

EG: If someone writes a song, and they want to tell the singer how to sing it then he/she will need to use a specific notation won't they??

What is this notation called and how do I google it??

EG : Which words to sing loud, which notes to hold, fade ins/out etc...

ur help will be appreciated  :) :)
« Last Edit: 23/05/2010 14:01:26 by latebind »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Singing Notation documents?
« Reply #1 on: 23/05/2010 13:57:10 »
Do you mean something in addition to musical notation? Music is written both for accompaniment and also for singing, and in the same notation. If you get music for choirs to sing (for example) each part (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) is notated appropriately. The composer can use whatever he chooses to annotate these parts though there is always room for interpretation. I don't think there is anything specificly different for singing compared with any other music. Really modern musical notation is built on more ancient notations developed by monks for plainsong etc. so was primarily invented for voice rather than instrumentation.

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/05/2010 14:05:36 »
Do you mean something in addition to musical notation? Music is written both for accompaniment and also for singing, and in the same notation. If you get music for choirs to sing (for example) each part (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) is notated appropriately. The composer can use whatever he chooses to annotate these parts though there is always room for interpretation. I don't think there is anything specificly different for singing compared with any other music. Really modern musical notation is built on more ancient notations developed by monks for plainsong etc. so was primarily invented for voice rather than instrumentation.

Thanks Graham, I think thats what I'm looking for.

I am less than a newbie in music theory, and I think what you talked about seems to be the 'done thing'.
What sort of search term could I use to find the musical notation of songs?

FOR eg : If I wanted to look up the musical notation for 'Everything' from Michael Buble, how would I start?

Thanks again, u are definitely putting me on the right path here

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/05/2010 15:15:06 »
Looking for modern music, like Michael Buble, there is always a problem of copyright and you would probably have to buy sheet music. Usually the top line will be vocal and the words will be divided to show what syllables are for which notes. There will often be a piano accompanyment too and sometimes guitar chords if appropriate. However the quality varies hugely on how good this is as a representation of what is actually performed. I play a guitar (badly) but have found that often the chords shown are nothing like what is used in the performance. Technically they are the right chords but the tablature is completely different from how it is intended to be played. With much modern music you have to listen to the recording if you wish to play or sing something similar to the original; the notation is often inadequate.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/05/2010 19:13:21 »
Michael Buble ... sheet music

Michael's not that bad  :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 23/05/2010 19:13:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums