The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the Grandfather Paradox?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline hogied

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is the Grandfather Paradox?
« on: 23/05/2010 16:29:34 »
Ok, so if I go back in time and kill my grandfather, I would never be born so how can I kill my grandfather?  I understand that's the general argument against time travel, but what I don't understand is why I can't kill my own grandfather.  I was born and if I could go back, I should be able to kill him.  Actions in the past don't necessarily have to change what happened prior to my time traveling, not talking the whole parallel universe thing either. 

I'm sure this has to make sense in some way.  I'm just wondering if anyone here know of anyone who may have written about it.  I'd be interested in checking it out.  It's hard for me to argue this point with friends. 

[MOD EDIT - TITLE REFORMATTED AS A QUESTION]
« Last Edit: 24/05/2010 07:56:50 by chris »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is the Grandfather Paradox?
« Reply #1 on: 23/05/2010 18:43:42 »
"what I don't understand is why I can't kill my own grandfather"
"I would never be born so how can I kill my grandfather?"

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/05/2010 23:01:36 »
 [:o)]

Past records in either scenario will always show that your grandmother gets pregnant whether or not who did the dirty dance with her. So the chain of events will influence, the influenced cascaded chain of events, with the direct relationship to your DNA ratio change. You will always be born with a portion of your DNA change. If you kill both, that will cause a change in your total DNA but your characteristics will carry on. There may be a Ψ spiritual Ψ entity in control. A time loop phenomena, born again religion, until we get it right. What is right? The answer is in the breaking of that time loop. Use the letter magnets on the Frigidaire, leave a message to yourself, every time you loop?
 Someday it will/might sink in?   [xx(]

[:o)]
« Last Edit: 23/05/2010 23:14:58 by tommya300 »

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/05/2010 07:52:26 »
Actions in the past don't necessarily have to change what happened prior to my time traveling, not talking the whole parallel universe thing either.
  ???

I'm sure this has to make sense in some way.
Maybe the basic problem is that it does not.
« Last Edit: 24/05/2010 07:54:53 by Atomic-S »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/05/2010 15:19:50 »

I'm sure this has to make sense in some way.  I'm just wondering if anyone here know of anyone who may have written about it. 

Per Atomic: It's a paradox - it doesn't have to make sense, in fact to be a paradox it shouldn't be simple but rather hard to believe.  a paradox is a situation that leads to contradiction or cannot be reconciled with intuition.

There has been a huge amount of writing upon it - the wikipedia page "grandfather paradox" is a good starting place
and for a more philosophical approach http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-travel-phys/

Matthew

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 24/05/2010 15:19:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums