The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are evolution and god mutually exclusive?  (Read 3737 times)

Budd

Are evolution and god mutually exclusive?
« on: 24/05/2010 12:30:02 »
Budd  asked the Naked Scientists:

If one believes in evolution does that mean one  doesn't believe in God, due to the evolution vs creation issue?  Is there a group believing in both or some sort of a mixture of the two  beliefs?

Regards Budd

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 24/05/2010 12:30:02 by _system »

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/05/2010 06:59:53 »
Actually, creationists are the strongest believers in evolution. Because all religions do eugenics, they are breeding their adherents to be supportive of and compliant to the administration. The resulting devolution of humans through this breeding is a crime against humanity. The technique they use to avoid censure is to deny that evolution occurs, and thus, devolution is impossible.

Offline norcalclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/05/2010 20:16:11 »
My father is a Christian at this stage in his life, and very interested in science, so I have personal experience with this issue.  My personal feelings are that science has shown it is very unlikely there is some omnipotent god/creator; but my father feels differently.  How he blends his beliefs, is by not believing that the Bible is without error.  He believes it was inspired by god, and has inherent truths, but he does not take it literally.

There is a subset of Christianity which tries to use science to "prove" god, unfortunately many use pseudoscience to argue their points.  http://www.godandscience.org/ seems to be the best site I have run across, which blends science and god; but I would say use extreme caution, because good science should have a hypothesis and then try to disprove it... christian apologetics have a hypothesis and then try to prove it. 

EDIT: I am in no way supporting the above link, in fact I feel their conclusions are incorrect and there are alternative explanations then those they derive.
« Last Edit: 26/05/2010 20:29:30 by norcalclimber »

Offline echochartruse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/06/2010 01:15:51 »
Hey the Pope agrees with evolution, but then he only confirmed that Mary died a virgin in 1995.

Offline geo driver

• if you have a smile, share it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/06/2010 03:06:55 »
the difference is this

science is a process of finding out how the world works, by observation and experement

belief is a way of finding out how humans work by sugestion and idiology

linking both is possible. you can belive there is a creator that made the big bang happen in the way that it did, and to keep "man" busy sent him science to keep him from getting bord.

what i think ... dont know

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/06/2010 09:37:54 »
If nothing else, religions are infinitely adaptable. God can be defined however you like. The scientific method can never prove anything, only disprove things, so ultimately if someone believes in something that is outside the realms of science (even temporarily) to disprove, then there is no logical inconsistency with him believing in that and also in science.

In my view though, the method of thinking adopted by scientists is not consistent with religious belief though many seem to live happily with this inconsistency.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 05/06/2010 09:37:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length