The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Was it a Gale in 1987 or a Hurricane?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
Was it a Gale in 1987 or a Hurricane?
« on: 30/05/2010 14:12:17 »
I have been thinking of the event of October 1987 when we in the UK had a really strong wind.   

Was it technically a hurricane, storm or gale?   I very much doubt it was technically a hurricane although it was really strong and noisy!   

I have been puzzling over this for nearly 23 years since it happened and would love to know the correct answer!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #1 on: 31/05/2010 14:23:36 »
Yes, it wasn't a hurricane but a storm, with hurricane force winds.

Funnily enough, although I live in the SE of England I missed it because that very night I was driving west to mid Wales to do some walking and we seemed to keep just ahead of the storm.  Although it was pretty windy during the drive, and was raining heavily when we arrived and put up the tent, the weather we experienced wasn't too severe and we had no idea of how bad the storm had been until we were driving back home a couple of days later and saw the increasing destruction as we progressed back east (this was before the widespread introduction of mobile phones and we had no idea of what had happened behind us).

Offline zdeal

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/10/2010 12:17:05 »
The UK will never ever have a hurricane, as hurricanes are the names of tropical storms which are created in the Atlantic or Eastern Pacific.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 30/10/2010 12:17:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums