The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you see a smell?  (Read 6092 times)

Offline bingfromgroton

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can you see a smell?
« on: 03/06/2010 06:12:35 »
My question is can you see a smell? Or is smell invisible? The question came about from a news article. The Reporter said “The smell of burning was clearly visible on Monday morning in the streets of Montreal” and we have been debating if you can see and odor. I’m not asking if you will know what it smells like just buy seeing it. Just asking if it is possible to see a smell.

« Last Edit: 03/06/2010 14:19:26 by BenV »

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Re: Can you see a smell?
« Reply #1 on: 03/06/2010 06:45:16 »
My question is can you see a smell? Or is smell invisible? The question came about from a news article. The Reporter said, "The smell of burning was clearly visible on Monday morning in the streets of Montreal” and we have been debating if you can see and odor. I’m not asking if you will know what it smells like just buy seeing it. Just asking if it is possible to see a smell.

I would say NO! Smell is outside the light frequency response of our eyes.

unrelated statement: "I think that phrase "clearly visible" related to unmistakable."

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Can you see a smell?
« Reply #2 on: 03/06/2010 16:56:39 »
Strictly speaking, no, you cannot see a smell; what we perceive as smells are due to the detection of aromatic molecules in our nose (and to a degree via our mouths).

However, Synesthesia could modify a person's perception of what they see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Can you see a smell?
« Reply #3 on: 03/06/2010 18:14:15 »
Anytime I smell a BarBi fired up I close my neyes and see a New York Strip
But that is thru association

Lee that article has me trippen

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Can you see a smell?
« Reply #4 on: 03/06/2010 23:07:32 »
You can cut some of my smells but not see them, but that's my personal problem. I've heard of people associating numbers and words with colours. I've also heard of people associating words with smells but not smells with things they see. Some people get their senses in a muddle, it has a medical name, which escapes me.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Can you see a smell?
« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2010 07:06:15 »
When ones nose is turner up into the air so high, that all can be caught is aromatics and the sight of the sun's blinding light leaving them seeing spots before their eyes? While losing their initial paths through the Roses?

The Naked Scientists Forum

Can you see a smell?
« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2010 07:06:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums