Life Sciences > Physiology & Medicine

Why reading glasses improve long distance vision?

<< < (2/3) > >>

tommya300:

--- Quote from: RD on 04/06/2010 01:05:21 ---The short distance glasses may correct astigmatism.

--- End quote ---

Interesting which sets my statement of the subject slightly... patients please

Several Eye Doctors explained to me that I have the refractive error of the astigmatic eye.
A step in the diameter of the cornea.
When contacts were only hard type and a trial and error fitting process, I was being fitted.
Well the first set that I tried hurt like spikes in my eyes, this old school eye doctor, told me to wait a little bit so I can get use to them...
When he sat me down to take an eye test even though the pain was still there, I was able to read the chart at 20/15 and below that some of the copyright print. I guess what happened that the pain was from the cornea was being reformed, forced by the hard contact. This was before they ever had cornea curvature correction.

RD:

--- Quote from: tommya300 on 04/06/2010 02:01:42 ---I guess what happened that the pain was from the cornea was being reformed, forced by the hard contact.
 This was before they ever had cornea curvature correction.
--- End quote ---

There are contact "lenses" which are designed to reshape the cornea ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthokeratology

But unlike normal contact lenses they are worn when asleep and removed when awake.

The effect is temporary: if the "lenses" are not worn every night the correction wears off.

Geezer:

--- Quote from: Yair Doza on 03/06/2010 18:53:52 ---I just got my first pair of reading glasses (the age and all).
I am wearing glasses to see far objects (short sighted – for driving, TV, and such).
As soon as I put on my new reading glasses I noticed that my long distance vision improved.
I still see better with the long distance glasses (-3.5) but wearing the short distance reading glasses (+1.5) I see better far away objects that without glasses.
The person selling me the glasses did not know why (I never had a chance to ask the optometrist).
Does it happen to all of your short and long sighted?
Do you know why?
Thanks Yair (with two pairs of glasses)

--- End quote ---

Hi Yair.

Many of us succumb to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia

Without glasses, I can only focus on objects beyond infinity.

Yair Doza:
Thanks for the link to the wiki article - I learned a lot.
But I still do not understand why I see better far objects with my reading glasses that without. I do need glasses for far away objects.

tommya300:
Showing my age, Yes RD all what I had experienced was before the fine tuning of the technology.
What you mentioned was a temp fix, and like a rubberband  as usual the human body parts returns to the previous state. 

--- Quote from: RD on 04/06/2010 02:19:59 ---
--- Quote from: tommya300 on 04/06/2010 02:01:42 ---I guess what happened that the pain was from the cornea was being reformed, forced by the hard contact.
 This was before they ever had cornea curvature correction.
--- End quote ---

There are contact "lenses" which are designed to reshape the cornea ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthokeratology

But unlike normal contact lenses they are worn when asleep and removed when awake.

The effect is temporary: if the "lenses" are not worn every night the correction wears off.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version