The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would you want to fly to Mars with this crew?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Would you want to fly to Mars with this crew?
« on: 04/06/2010 03:53:09 »
Is this a realistic experiment, or is it a stunt?

If you knew you really were on a mission to Mars, I think your perspective would be entirely different.

I think I would prefer to go to Mars with the first guy that demands to be released from this bogus experiment than the ones who stayed in it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100603/ap_on_sc/eu_russia_mission_to_mars

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/2010 08:11:34 »
What happened is they have Crazy Ivan, inner space, ship handling, navigational  quality Jean Lafitte, for social organizing tact, La Cosa Nastra,  the covert southern cartel was for cargo control, and a Shanghai, Samurai, Shao Lin, Shu-Shi cook. What was already fore filled that redundancy was not needed at this point was, the main sea barring, ship sailing, know all end all cargo carrying vestal,  shipping high independent transport items, Ship-A-Hoy there Mate was left out? Awe that makes the crew not a full compliment! That is a not so good choice.
Fletcher Christian successfully leads a revolt against the ruthless Captain Bligh on the HMS Bounty.  I would wonder about the trip too if I were left out.
« Last Edit: 04/06/2010 08:34:46 by tommya300 »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/06/2010 10:22:06 »
I think that if someone gave me chance to fly to mars I would probably agree to share with Freddy Krueger, Johnny Fartypants, and Uriah Heep, if it meant I could get into space. 

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/06/2010 11:03:44 »
You win!
I submit and admit!
You have the better metaphor!
Don't forget the main personality
Judge Fudge
Issaguina Gedafudged Gowin
Josapy Facimaty
Harry Bonzobonzo
Harry Pitts
« Last Edit: 04/06/2010 11:18:47 by tommya300 »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #4 on: 04/06/2010 16:21:06 »
Well, the experiment does need to be done before we set off for Mars, regardless of whether this particular one is serious or not.

Offline Torino10

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2010 18:05:45 »
Considering that it is not known whether or not humans, or mammals of any sort, can successfully reproduce in 1/3rd gravity, and the ultimate goal for manned space flight should be self sustaining colonies off of earth, I think any manned missions including a landing on Mars are a bit premature.

What is needed right now, is an Orbital Centrifuge to study the affects of varying gravities on biological systems. I find it incredibly depressing that the CAM(Centrifuge Accommodations Module) is sitting in a parking lot at the Tsukuba Space Center in Japan.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/06/2010 07:11:39 »
Well, the experiment does need to be done before we set off for Mars, regardless of whether this particular one is serious or not.

As it's likely impossible to create the mindset of astronauts on an actual mission to Mars, I suspect this experiment is not very meaningful.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/06/2010 12:06:26 »
The primary aspect to a successful mission is mind set!
I is self evident that man can not totally get along in an area the size of the surface of the earth.
In such a confined area as Mars 500, drug induction may be needed to control the stages of emotion to avoid the crew from getting at each others thoughts.
The crew had to be picked out by some sort of reason, besides just their brain power, maybe temperament.

« Last Edit: 05/06/2010 12:08:32 by tommya300 »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/06/2010 06:01:15 »
The primary aspect to a successful mission is mind set!

Quite true. The question is, how much does this experiment model the mind set of a crew who are really on their way to Mars?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 06/06/2010 06:01:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums