The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: is phonetics the key to understanding the way the universe functions?  (Read 9854 times)

Offline mirormimic

• Phonetics= picture owing idios
    • View Profile
Once again thank you geezer for providing yet another link that is consistent with my arguments related to the phonology of language. The following represents what I gleaned( and you should have ) from the site:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling

While some words ADMIT MULTIPLE SPELLINGS…………………..
Misspelling can also be a MATTER OF OPINION when VARIENT SPELLINGS ARE ACCEPTED by some and not by others. For example "miniscule" (for "minuscule") is a misspelling to many,[3] AND YET it is listed as AN ACCEPTABLE VARIENT IN some DICTIONARIES.[4][5]
A phonemic orthography is a writing system where the written graphemes correspond to phonemes, the spoken sounds of the language. In terms of orthographic depth, these are termed shallow orthographies, contrasting with deep orthographies. These are sometimes termed TRUE ALPHABETS, but non-alphabetic writing systems like syllabaries can be phonemic as well.
Methods for phonetic transcription such as the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) aim to describe pronunciation in a standard form. They are often used to SOLVE AMBIGUITIES IN THE SPELLING of written language
There have been two periods when SPELLING REFORM of the English language has ATTRACTED PARTICULAR INTEREST
These proposals generally DID NOT ATTRACT SERIOUS CONSIDERATION BECAUSE they were OF too radical a nature or were based on an INSUFFICIENT UNDERSTANDING OF THE…PHONOLOGY…OF ENGLISH
Arguments for reform
Advocates of spelling reform make these basic arguments:[citation needed]
[edit] Spelling changes should match pronunciation changes
PRONUNCIATIONS CHANGE change gradually over time and THE ALPHABETIC …….PRINCIPLE English (and every other alphabetically written language) gradually BECOMES CORRUPTED. If the MAINTAINance of REGULARITY in the orthography of English IS DESIRED, then spelling needs to be AMENDed to account for the changes.
SPELLINGS DO CHANGE [11], regardless of conscious public resistance(geezer), just slowly and not in any organized way. Music was spelt as musick until the 1880s, and fantasy was spelt as phantasy until the 1920s[12].

Sigh! Must I go on and one in support of these REALITIES. NAH, NO; Notta! ( All acceptable terms)…..FOR the word NO?.Thus: In answer to my rhetorical question……NO!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length