The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is ORGANIC food really worth buying?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline goofkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/cooldanyal/science_ideas.html
Is ORGANIC food really worth buying?
« on: 09/06/2010 07:49:24 »
Hello everyone! I haven't posed in about 2 YEARS!
Is it really worth buying organic fruits and vegetables at a more expensive rate? Or is it a health-scare scam?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/2010 10:23:42 »
Health concerns aside as I don't know the answer - and I am pretty sure that the jury is still out. 

I find that its worth buying organic local produce purely for the increase in quality.  I think this has little to do with the organic nature and much to do with the benefits of dedicated farmers and small-holders versus large industrial combines and supermarkets.  I was bought a six-month subscription of a weekly assortment of locally-sourced organic vegetables delivered to my door.  I thought it would be a gimmick and total waste of cash - but the sheer quality of (even the plain) veg was amazing.  I have now continued the subscription for several years.  Before anyone claims this is deluded justification and there is no real taste difference; we have done double blind tests between leading supermarket brands and the local stuff.

So I haven't answered your question at all - but I know what my decision would be.

Matthew

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/06/2010 10:31:50 »
I agree with Matthew. I don't know about health risks though I prefer fewer complex chemicals on my food.

I note typo in your post, goofkid. You have not "posed" in 2 years :-) I won't ask the nature of the job you had then.

Offline goofkid

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/cooldanyal/science_ideas.html
« Reply #3 on: 09/06/2010 16:14:46 »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the responses.

hahahaha...thank you for pointing out the typo!

Offline norcalclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/06/2010 16:40:11 »
Hello everyone! I haven't posed in about 2 YEARS!
Is it really worth buying organic fruits and vegetables at a more expensive rate? Or is it a health-scare scam?

I would really appreciate some advice.

I personally refuse to buy "organic" food(political reasons), but I will buy from local farmers.  In the region of California I am in we have a ton of local farmers and so it is quite easy to find excellent local produce.  I completely agree on the excellent taste/quality of small farmers produce, and having a personal history of raising animals at home(for meat), I have to say that nothing I have found in any supermarket has come close to comparing with both meat raised on small farms as well as fruits/veggies raised on small farms.

One thing to be careful of, is just because it says "organic" on it doesn't mean it comes from a small farm, and actually many companies do just the bare minimum requirements to be able to label their food "organic".  I would say that some organic food is genuinely healthier, but some is not because the company is just trying to take advantage of the marketing benefit of "organic".  Personally, I recommend buying from local farmers, whether their food has "organic" listed on it or not, IMO.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/06/2010 19:06:33 »
Ah there is nothing like a fresh beef steak tomatoe right off the vine.

Offline norcalclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/06/2010 19:18:57 »

Ditto!  If you can grow it yourself, even if it is just fresh herbs which are quite easy, then you know exactly what you are getting and the taste is incredible.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/06/2010 20:20:56 »

Ditto!  If you can grow it yourself, even if it is just fresh herbs which are quite easy, then you know exactly what you are getting and the taste is incredible.

Yea last year the tomatoes got a blight brown spots and much to too much rain.
All that work :(  [xx(]
I live near Amish country, so this year, there is where I will pay for the fruit of the Gods. :) ;D

I will skip this year from growing see if that would be wise...
 I do not know, it is only 10 plants, but I will use the excuse that I am replenishing the soil and do it next year.
« Last Edit: 09/06/2010 20:29:25 by tommya300 »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/07/2010 09:16:55 »
Ah there is nothing like a fresh beef steak tomato right off the vine.
I so agree!! We always had a big garden and there is a big difference just getting fresh food, I am not concerned weather it says local or not.. I want fresh In all I have tried home grown is definitely the best! I live in Northern California up in Arcata Blue lake... Lovely area for farming and great local produce and fish as we live on the coastline.. so fishing is a huge industry here also.. along with local farmers etc..

The taste of fresh is better.. weather it says organic or not. fresh is my greatest concern... Most local stuff you get can be bought organically here.

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/07/2010 11:10:48 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 04/07/2010 11:10:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums