The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the best therapy for a coma patient with locked in syndrome?  (Read 5367 times)

Offline harprit

• First timers
    • View Profile
Dear All,

My mother had to go through a simple operation to remove kidney stones during which she was given local anaesthetic.  She was awake and talking during most of the operation but at one point she stopped talking and few moments (maybe few minutes) after the doctors looked and she had turned blue.  Oxygen mask was placed her mouth and the operation was completed.  My mother was examined at the operation and she was still quite blue.  In all the running around someone realised the oxygen cylinder was empty and at that point she was transferred to another hospital where oxygen was available.

It will be four years in February since this happened and she has been in a coma type state.  She sleeps, awakes and reacts to light, touches, cold and hot.  We think she can hear as well because when ever we discuss any unfortunate mishap then we can see tears in her eyes but she cannot move.

I would be greatly appreciated if someone can help in any way.

Thank you all in advance.

Best regards,

Harprit
« Last Edit: 31/10/2012 08:12:16 by chris »

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
Re: Coma/Brain Damage Stem Cell Therapy
« Reply #1 on: 10/08/2003 17:07:19 »
I feel sorry for your mum. The best person to help you here would be Chris, but as I understand he's probably still on his honeymoon trip.

Angel

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/08/2003 12:52:58 »
If you want to communicate, tell her to blink once for yes and twice for no or something, or any other part of the body she can move to communicate, and ask her questions about how she's feeling and things. She's probably frustrated that she can't communicate and is like a vegetable ...

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/08/2003 13:10:57 »
After a few months in a coma, the body will awaken physiologically, and appear to be awake.  The person will open her eyes, yawn, grimace, etc. and appear to have a response to stimuli.  This is the hardest time for the families, because the person appears to have an awareness that she does not.  Purposeful response is the key.  For instance, the eyes are open, but do they follow any movement?  She grimaces, but is it a response to painful stimulus, or just a random expression?  Unfortunately, those who are comatose because of anoxia (lack of oxygen) have to poorest prognosis.  If it is a consolation, those who awaken from comas years later, do not have any recollection of their years of coma, so she is not in pain. If you lived in the United States, you'd have a major lawsuit filed by now and be collecting a huge amount of money.  That doesn't change the state of your Mom, but it does help to have money to have her cared for properly, even at home if you would wish.

I'm puzzled as to why she turned blue in the first place.  That's a very simple procedure and she shouldn't have been turning blue with just a local anesthetic.  Did they also give her some sedative through her veins, which I would suppose they did?  If so, sounds like she was overdosed.  

I'm real sorry to hear about your Mother.  That is a clear case of medical malpractice, and it makes me ashamed of my profession.  I'll pray for you both, regardless of who on this panel believes in God or not.

Bezoar

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/08/2003 22:49:16 »
I agree with Bezoar, I'd be interviewing lawyers.  Where was the anesthetist when this was going on?  I used to administer veterinary anesthetic and had to monitor up to four "patients" at a time.  You have to watch closely and there's no way your mum should have had time to turn blue while no one noticed.

A word of caution.  In Canada there's a huge organization that most medical practitioners belong to that has very deep pockets and uses the money to fight lawsuits against them.  You might check and see if they have the same thing in the U.K. so you know what you are up against.  I imagine Chris would know.

Offline harprit

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/08/2003 12:43:36 »
Thank you all for you help but my mother is in India and its easier to get blood out stone then to get justice up there.

I was hopeing maybe their is someone out there who knows someone that can help with a possible cure.

Well, thank you all once again for your time and if anyone reading this has any information regarding stem cell therapy or any other possible cure then please e-mail me at my husband e-mail address on onkar_atwal@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you all for your help

Harprit

Offline zebcoin

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/11/2005 08:33:22 »
i am quite sure your mother is in a state of cerebral brain hypoxia.this is bue to lack of oxygen supply in the rain for 3 minutes more.. you can contact me on my telephone no. 09323737333 in india  mumbai.  ican give you certain suggestion and remedies.
i have read , studied a loton hypoxia as my sister is also in the same stage as your mother .
thanks
salim ebrahim

salim

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24/11/2005 11:42:15 »
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2872

The information provided in the link should help your Mother.

Andrew

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Offline shannonwells830

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31/10/2012 04:50:39 »
That was a very unfortunate event for what happened to your mother.  As they say it is clearly a case of medical malpractice.  Here in UK when a situation like that happens the victim or their family usually files a claim.  There are many [SPAM Link Removed] medical negligence solicitors online who can help you.  Even if you are in India I'm pretty sure someone can help you on that.  Good luck to you and hope your mother is doing well.

Thank you all for you help but my mother is in India and its easier to get blood out stone then to get justice up there.

« Last Edit: 31/10/2012 05:18:59 by CliffordK »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 31/10/2012 04:50:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums