The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Discuss: 50 years of Lasers  (Read 4182 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Discuss: 50 years of Lasers
« on: 15/06/2010 18:23:09 »
We celebrate 50 years of Lasers on the Naked Scientists this week, by  looking into the history, and future, of laser science.  We'll hear how  lasers have revolutionised manufacturing and could be the answer to our  clean energy concerns.  Also, how lasers make the most accurate  measurements for high precision industries, and how laser tweezers can  be used to manipulate things smaller than a red blood cell, and make  tiny tools.  In Kitchen Science, Dave launches his bid for world  domination by building a home-made laser!  Plus, how sharks sniff out a  snack, the technology that keeps world cup matches safe and accessible,  and how the Deepwater Horizon oil spill will affect Louisiana's  wetlands.
Listen to this Show
or  
If you want to discuss this show, or ask a question, this is the place to do it.
« Last Edit: 15/06/2010 18:23:09 by _system »

Mr.Freeman

None
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2010 18:33:31 »
Just a quick question. Why is it that why using green lasers at night you are able to produce a clear beam of light to the night sky. This  usefull when looking at stars with a party of people. So why are you able to see the laser at this time?

pmailkeey

None
« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2010 20:18:52 »
Laser light appears to be made up of little dots. When the beam hits something, these dots can be seen. If I take my glasses off, the patch of little dots goes out of focus. If I then put my glasses lens in the path of the laser beam, the dots come back into focus.

Comment ?

pmailkeey

None
« Reply #3 on: 13/06/2010 20:34:11 »
Why doesn't the link in the top message "listen to this" produce any audible sound ?

Apparently these are broadcast on the radio - WHERE ?

Comment ?

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/06/2010 19:10:30 »
The easiest way to get us is to download the podcast, you can find them all here.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 15/06/2010 19:10:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums