The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can the useful life of a disposable razor blade be lengthened?  (Read 5053 times)

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
shower & shave & the ss edge of a cheap shaver gets rinsed with municipal clorinated water after use. question= will the edge last longer if i put the little plastic blade cover on the blade while wet or should i leave it off, let it dry & open to air for 2 days?
« Last Edit: 13/06/2010 22:39:03 by chris »

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
When I was a Prisoner of War, I had one razor blade which I dried after use and put it inside of a glass and straightened the edge and so the blade lasted me for about one year.  It was shaving just as well after about one year as it did when I first used it.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
When I was a Prisoner of War, I had one razor blade which I dried after use and put it inside of a glass and straightened the edge and so the blade lasted me for about one year.  It was shaving just as well after about one year as it did when I first used it.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan
what kind of razor blade? inside air sealed glass?mine is a cheapo disposible plastc thing with a stainless steel strip for a blade. i am curious if putting the plastic blade cap on it when wet is worse than letting it dry & leaving it open to the air & possible oxidation.

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
My blade was just an ordinary razor blade.  I would think it would be better to always dry it.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
My blade was just an ordinary razor blade.  I would think it would be better to always dry it.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan
thanx for telling me now!= i just tried to hammer the blade straight but the plastic didnt make it. actually, i got a similar answer from another science site & it said the blade didnt dull so much as it bent...............thanx

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
I seem to recall some research done many years ago that found that using a better lubricant i.e. oil instead of foam or cream, enhanced the usable life of razor blade.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I knew someone who believed that storing the blade at the centre of a regular tetrahedron kept a razor blade sharp. He made a cardboard tetrahedron and actually did this. Amazingly, this guy was not a looney (at least in other respects), however I would take such a superstitious suggestion with a pinch of salt :-)

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I seem to recall some research done many years ago that found that using a better lubricant i.e. oil instead of foam or cream, enhanced the usable life of razor blade.

I heard that putting the razor into mineral oil in between uses helped, since it would keep it from rusting.  It seemed to work, but it was a mess to try to shave with an oily razor, so I gave up quickly.

In response to the original question, I strongly suspect drying it off would be the best way to keep it lasting a long time.  If you wanted to get a bit fancier, you could briefly splash it with rubbing alcohol to dry it off quicker and more thoroughly than just wiping or shaking it. 

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I thought all modern blades were made with stainless steel so I don't think rust is an issue. Stainless steel is a compromise - life vs sharpness vs corrosion resistance. Maybe the fine edge can get dulled by chemical pitting but I think it is simply wear. There are harder materials that can be sharper (ceramic for example) but maybe this is more expensive to produce. I am surprised there isn't any nano-technology been introduced yet. A cynic might say it is a great replacement business though, especially with various mutually incompatible multi-blade systems.

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Also remember the disposable razor is made from the same blade stock as the really expensive disposable head units. I find that using Prep gel ( not the foam in a can, but the genuine stuff in a jar that smells of menthol and wintergreen) works best, and I always rinse the blade afterwards, and flick it dryish, as well as wiping it dry with a towel ( from the top down to burnish the blade) before storing it open.

Though I do prefer the Philishave, as it can be used very quickly to trim when at work, just rinse before and after with water and soap.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
I knew someone who believed that storing the blade at the centre of a regular tetrahedron kept a razor blade sharp. He made a cardboard tetrahedron and actually did this. Amazingly, this guy was not a looney (at least in other respects), however I would take such a superstitious suggestion with a pinch of salt :-)

Apparently, he was not the only looney person to believe in this amazing force.

"PYRAMID POWER, the secret energy harnessed by the ancients, preserves food stuffs, amplifies thought forms and increases sexual vitality."

from  http://www.maxtoth.com/

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
He must have been a looney- he couldn't tell a pyramid from a tetrahedron.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
"increases sexual vitality"

So you actually wear the pyramid do you?

I don't mean "you", personally, by the way :-)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
"increases sexual vitality"

So you actually wear the pyramid do you?

I don't mean "you", personally, by the way :-)

er, well, I usually my friend hangs one over his bed.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
He must have been a looney- he couldn't tell a pyramid from a tetrahedron.

BC, it's not terribly PC to call someone a looney just because they can't tell the difference between a pyramid and a tetrahedron, (unless you want to include most of the politicians on the planet). Wouldn't we have to use something like "geometrically challenged" or "monodimensional" instead?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums