The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I did a big mistake and I need a help!  (Read 8341 times)

Offline francescocrow

• First timers
    • View Profile
I did a big mistake and I need a help!
« on: 15/06/2010 01:49:27 »
I took, without know, a kind of epo, the name is alfaepoetina.
I did one dose in the past , day 8 june, a friend gave me a dose with 4u and I was curious about...
I would like to clean myself, i dont want to stay like this.
I'll have a competition 20 days after and I'm deseperated, afraid, and not confortable about what I did. I want to be clean!
Please could you help me?
If I donate my blood, could I be clean in the next 20 days?
thanks so much , I know that what I did was a big mistake!
thanks

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/06/2010 02:41:43 »
Do tell us if you're on any kind of medication.
 Medicines, pills, injections, anything. Some of these may affect your blood and mean we can't take your donation
http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/faqs/

If you were considering lying to the blood transfusion agency about taking this drug,
 consider the possibility your blood may be given to someone who has cancer ...

your tumor may grow faster and you may die sooner when PROCRIT is used

Using PROCRIT can lead to death or other serious side effects.
https://www.esa-apprise.com/ESAAppriseUI/public/PROCRIT_Med_Guide.pdf

I'll have a competition 20 days after and I'm deseperated, afraid, and not confortable about what I did.
 I want to be clean!

Is that "clean" meaning not gaining an unfair advantage, or  "clean" meaning no detectable evidence of cheating ...

Increase in reticulocyte count is appreciable within 7 to 10 days of administration [of Epoetin alfa a.k.a. Procrit].
Clinically significant increases in red blood cell count, hemoglobin, and hematocrit generally occur in 2 to 6 weeks.
http://img.thebody.com/nih/prof/procrit.pdf
« Last Edit: 15/06/2010 03:10:02 by RD »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2010 16:53:16 »
I have no expertise in this area, but from what I read on the web this drug does not stay in the body very long and, I think, would not be detectable in two weeks. To be effective it needs to be injected or absorbed under the skin and/or part of a course of treatment. If you took it orally I don't think it does anything as it cannot survive the gut. I suspect if you just took one dose (however administered) it will not be effective and would also disappear from your body.

I am no expert though!

Not only is it best not to cheat, some of these drugs are not to be taken lightly as they can have long term effects. It's not worth it.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2010 09:56:23 »
Ok,
You have two issues.
Synthetic EPO in your blood & urine
Increased HCT count.

And both can be tested depending on what type of an event you are competing in.

If you are competing in an individual sport, you could loose any awards and get banned from competing.

If you are competing in a team sport, you could also harm your entire team.

http://www.slate.com/id/2107096/
Athletes can get a bigger—and illegal—boost by injecting themselves with erythropoietin (EPO), a hormone that stimulates RBC production. A urine test for artificial EPO was introduced in 1997, but it's not foolproof; while testable traces of artificial EPO disappear from an athlete's body within four days, the hormone's effects are strongest three weeks after injection.
So, the urine test is likely clean after a few weeks.
But, accuracy of tests increase all the time...  and you won't necessarily be told about testing improvements.
Your HCT may still show up higher than normal.
A blood donation would drop your HCT. 

Capillary HCT testing can be done in a matter of minutes and would tell you if you are within the norm.

In the future, try some high altitude training...  and work on your performance the "legal and sportsmanly" way.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2010 09:56:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums