The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Curious as to possible causes?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Gareque

• First timers
    • View Profile
Curious as to possible causes?
« on: 17/06/2010 00:10:44 »
First of all, I'd like to say hey... I am new to the board so I'm not 100% sure this is in the right section.

To the point at hand anyway, some years ago, almost a decade ago in fact, I suffered from some major issues, including mild Schizophrenia, acute paranoia and borderline psychopathic tendancies.

Over the years, my sheer hatred of people has cooled down to a mild simmering which I believe has my partner worried. I do not see anything wrong with how I act, it is just how I see the world.

However, she seems to believe that I have extreme, textbook narcissism, still with somewhat psychopathic or sociopathic tendancies. I am not 100% sure, I mean we are all a little narcissistic and everyone gets annoyed at others at times...

My main problems involve feelings that almost everyone else I know is far beneath me, that I can do better, act better and be better than anyone around me and those who I do not know, I have neither the inclination, nor the interest to learn one way or the other. She claims I guilt trip her on occasion to get my way, particularly in the bedroom, but as I see it, it's standard procedure for partners to have sex on a regular basis. If she's not in the mood, querying whether it's something to do with me, or someone else is surely a natural reaction?

Not only this, but she claims I have feelings of grandeur, bordering on megalomania, because I tend to get through life with the understanding that I am destined for something greater than I currently have. At least in terms of job, economy etc.

My first main question:

Is it possible for someone who could suffer from either psychopathic or sociopathic tendancies, or narcissism to hold love for anyone? Or in the case of narcissism, anyone other than themselves?

I mean, I care for her in a way that I care for no one else, I would gladly kill for her if required... But essentially, if I were any of the above as she fears, I could not hold any affection for her?

My second question is this:

As I understand it, psychopaths are wont to cause others harm for nothing other than their own amusement/pleasure, whereas a sociopath is someone who simply doesn't care and are willing to harm any who get in their way. Please let me know if this is not the case.

As I mentioned, I was originally diagnosed with borderline psychopathic tendancies as when my psychologist asked me how I would go about seeking revenge (issues in the past which I won't bother to bore you with), I simply answered by taking from them whatever/whomever the person cares for most... It seems a logical answer to me. Take from them what they love and you gain your vengeance. I do not see it as immoral, just a natural reaction, so I see it as a bit unfair to be branded as a borderline psychopath.

But regardless of what I believe, is it actually possible for a person who is believed to be psychopathic, to temper enough to be determined as sociopathic? Are the two intrinsically linked? Or is it an entirely different psychological problem?

I ask this because I simply do not know how I can be described as either, when I hold the ability to care for another person, even if it is only 1 other person.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Curious as to possible causes?
« on: 17/06/2010 00:10:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums