The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is a good physics text?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline elementbrdr

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is a good physics text?
« on: 17/06/2010 03:34:04 »
I'm trying to teach myself physics. I'd like to focus on classical physics first--in my understanding, classical physics begins with Newton's theory of gravity, is supplemented by Maxwell's field theory, but does not include special or general relativity. Can any of the readers on this site advise as to appropriate introductory texts? I am partial to actual textbooks, but I am not opposed to a more casual read if the content is of high quality. To help explain what I'm looking for: I currently have a couple of books which I dislike, including Physics for Poets, Revolutions in Physics, and The Elegant Universe. I dislike Physics for Poets and The Elegant Universe because they do not provide enough support for the theories they articulate. I am unsatisfied by Revolutions in Physics because it is ancient.

Thanks.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17/06/2010 09:00:59 »
Lack many of my era, I had the "Feynman Lectures on Physics" for general background reading. To me these are still a good undergraduate physics course and a relatively easy read; and they do not shy away from the necessary maths.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #2 on: 26/06/2010 23:50:52 »
Here is a list of all the physics texts that I have. I like all of them (obviously since I bought them all.)

http://home.comcast.net/~peter.m.brown/ref/physics_textbooks.htm

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/07/2010 15:14:01 »
Well, for my case, I took up reading Mc GrawHill books. Glencoe Physics. It is really easy to help you understand difficult concepts, as the book puts the text across in a understandable way. It is quite a good book for reference to physics. I strongly recommend this! Hope it helps.  :)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/07/2010 20:08:17 »
Here is a list of all the physics texts that I have. I like all of them (obviously since I bought them all.)

http://home.comcast.net/~peter.m.brown/ref/physics_textbooks.htm
QM books are very few, compared to the relativity ones, in your library. Furthermore, in the miscellaneous, I see a lot of books on tensor analysis. Let me guess: general relativity is your main interest, isnt'it?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 02/07/2010 20:08:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length