The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Brain scans now in doubt  (Read 3086 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Brain scans now in doubt
« on: 06/01/2006 21:27:33 »
Apparently the whole basis of PET scans could be in doubt.

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060106_astrocytes_blood.html

another_someone

Re: Brain scans now in doubt
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2006 22:53:49 »
You are talking about using PET as a research tool.  I don't think it jeopardises PET as a diagnostic tool.

Nonetheless, if the results are confirmed, it does put into doubt much past research that has made assumptions on the basis of PET and MRI scans.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2006 22:55:22 by another_someone »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2006 01:38:39 »
quote:
You are talking about using PET as a research tool. I don't think it jeopardises PET as a diagnostic tool

The assumption has been that extra oxygen equates to neurons working and much diagnosis is based on that. However, this study indicates that maybe it's not the neurons working that is being indicated but these astrocyte cells. That could have serious implications for diagnosis of brain damage in general.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2006 02:10:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

The assumption has been that extra oxygen equates to neurons working and much diagnosis is based on that. However, this study indicates that maybe it's not the neurons working that is being indicated but these astrocyte cells. That could have serious implications for diagnosis of brain damage in general.

Substantially, that is what I understood, except that while (from what I understood it to say and I could easily be wrong I realise this is very close to your field) neuron inactivity may not be the cause of the lack of oxygen, it still remains that lack of oxygen will ultimately lead to permanent neuron inactivity; thus while the causal link may be reversed, the correlation will remain (at least if you are looking at repeated images taken over a period of time, not the transitory image that would show up for a few minutes).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2006 02:10:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums