The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What lies between universes in a multiverse?  (Read 5743 times)

Weronika

What lies between universes in a multiverse?
« on: 19/06/2010 06:30:02 »
Weronika asked the Naked Scientists:

Since I have found a theory of the "multiverse" I was wondering: if instead of one Universe, there is multiverse, what is in the space in between those Universes?

Oh, and also how does "nothing" outside space look like? Is there one? If there is nothing what would happen if something appeared there?

Thanks

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 19/06/2010 06:30:02 by _system »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #1 on: 19/06/2010 17:14:53 »
'Multiverses' generally require a higher order dimensional environment than our four-dimensional universe.

We can only really illustrate it by using lower order dimensional examples though, as we can't directly show a higher dimensional order object in a lower order dimensional environment.

So draw two separate lines on a sheet of paper.  Each one of these notionally one dimensional lines represents a four-dimensional universe.  Now these one dimensional lines have been drawn on a two dimensional surface i.e. the sheet of paper, and what separates them is the second dimension of the sheet of paper, the one at right angles that gives it an area.

In a 'multiverse' then, numerous four-dimensional universes would be separated by a fifth dimension, one that our four-dimensional universe doesn't possess, just as the lines on the sheet of paper only have length, but no area.

Offline flr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2010 18:33:34 »
They may be separated by event-horizon kind of boundary. That means they are not deterministically connected.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2010 18:33:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums