The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are there plans for a manned mission to Mars?  (Read 1574 times)

John Daugherty

Are there plans for a manned mission to Mars?
« on: 23/06/2010 13:30:02 »
John Daugherty  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Naked Scientists,

Love the new show (as well as the original!). I am an avid listener downloading the podcasts en masse from itunes and obsessively listening on my commute to work and while I'm behind the lab bench doing wonderfully tedious pipetting. 

I am extra curious about manned missions to Mars in the near future. 

Could you discuss the possibility of such missions and if there are plans underway by any of the national space institutions like NASA or ESA? 

If it were at all possible to interview someone like Robert Zubrin, who wrote a book A Case for Mars back in 1996 that positively ignited my interest in extra-terrestrial human exploration, that would be wonderful.

keep up the great work,

John Daugherty, researcher at University of Wisconsin Hospital- Madison, Wisconsin.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 23/06/2010 13:30:02 by _system »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23/06/2010 19:33:03 »
The only possible justification for spending the vast sums of money required for a manned trip to Mars and also the loss of life that such a mission would probably entail would be political.
Of the countries that have the technological ability such as the USA, Japan, China, and possibly Russia I do not think any have sufficient to gain.
Let us stick to robots, vastly cheaper and better. 

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2010 14:45:04 »
In the longer term, we need off-Earth colonies because having the entire human race dependent upon just one planet is keeping all of our eggs in one basket.  It'll need new and currently unavailable technology to make off-Earth colonies viable though, so in the short term it would be fairly pointless to actually try to send people to Mars now.  The recently started experiment of a simulated Mars mission is worth doing, imo though, because although it won't provide 'real' data it should give us some insights as to what else we do need to look into before we eventually do set off on real expeditions.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2010 14:45:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums