The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do birds have to make such a racket?  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Do birds have to make such a racket?
« on: 28/06/2010 23:55:56 »
Last night, as I was trying to get back to sleep after being rudely awakened by my CO1 detector at around 3:00 am, the "rosy fingered dawn" decided to put in an appearance. Cue the dawn chorus.

What a flaming racket! Our pal Wood E. Pecker was conducting. Apparently he had purloined one of those party siren things that have likely been banned now by some spoilsport politician. Anyway, about every minute or so, "wheeeeee". This was followed by a cacophony from every other winged creature within a five mile radius.

So, why do birds make such a racket when it's obviously far too early to get up?
« Last Edit: 29/06/2010 17:10:24 by chris »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Re: Do birds have to make such a racket?
« Reply #1 on: 29/06/2010 14:13:23 »
If they do it later, when it's noisier, they won't be heard as well, and the reason they're doing it in the first place is to be heard.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Re: Do birds have to make such a racket?
« Reply #2 on: 29/06/2010 17:02:59 »
I was wondering if sound travels a bit further at dawn because of the stillness of the air. Also, I think our hearing is more acute then too, so it may just be a perception problem.

Anyone know?

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/06/2010 17:57:27 »
Geezer, you are lucky to have such quiet birds...... Here I contend with Ibex, both common and Egyptian, plus the warring Mynah birds and the collared doves sparring with the feral pigeons. I lived in a town where the most common bird was the crested lourie, which makes a penetrating monotonous call from dawn to dusk in spring.

Add to that the vuvuzela powered drunks...........

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/06/2010 18:47:06 »
Geezer, SeanB ewe are lucky ...here I have to contend with the Pachyderm dawn chorus !!..those pesky elephants really piss me off !!

A genuine bona-fide non doctored photo of real elephants
 singing the pachyderm dawn chorus on telephone lines.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/06/2010 20:10:46 »
Geezer, SeanB ewe are lucky ...here I have to contend with the Pachyderm dawn chorus !!..those pesky elephants really piss me off !!

A flipping nuisance they are. Hanging around down the tube tunnels snorting acetone all day, then sneaking out at night with their cans of spray paint and defecating the place with their gang symbols.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/07/2010 21:10:18 »
When I lived in Windsor, I had to put up with the dawn chorus of DC10s and Jumbos of the non-pachyderm genus. So you lot are lucky.
Is it my imagination or is this turning into a Monty Python sketch?

Anyway Geezer, I think it is a territory thing. Birds wake up when the sun comes up and sleep when it goes down. My Aunty used to put a cover on the budgies cage to shut it up. You could try putting a great big budgie cover over your entire garden until it is time for you to get up. Job Done.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/07/2010 22:15:59 »
When I lived in Windsor, I had to put up with the dawn chorus of DC10s and Jumbos of the non-pachyderm genus.

Do they change the flight path when Queenie is taking a kip at the castle, or does she just bung in the royal earplugs?

I'll try the budgie cover idea and report back.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/07/2010 17:02:26 »
For special occasions they would change the flight path but apart from that Queeny had to slum it with the rest of us.
She nearly ran over my Mum once. My Mum was having a stroll on the "long walk" inbetween the castle and the Queens church. Queeny was speeding along in her Range Rover and was taking no prisoners.
One of my friends husbands worked in the queens china cabinet. He was a bit annoyed when I asked him if that involved passing the Queen her mug. I guess the cabinet was a bit bigger than mine. 

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/07/2010 18:43:57 »
God just loves ya???
Last night, as I was trying to get back to sleep after being rudely awakened by my CO1 detector at around 3:00 am, the "rosy fingered dawn" decided to put in an appearance. Cue the dawn chorus.

What a flaming racket! Our pal Wood E. Pecker was conducting. Apparently he had purloined one of those party siren things that have likely been banned now by some spoilsport politician. Anyway, about every minute or so, "wheeeeee". This was followed by a cacophony from every other winged creature within a five mile radius.

So, why do birds make such a racket when it's obviously far too early to get up?
Ironic, some people are pleased to hear the sounds of nature, especially in the morning!
 Makes them realize they are alive!
I sometimes hear these people say, "this is surly a delightful change from being at the market place!
 Hearing the awful chatter of gums flapping and nonsense spilling out on a daily bases.
  Hearing traffic and horns blowing."

The day you wake up in the morning not hearing nature's sounds, the first thing in mind may be a sigh of relief and then an urgent sense of, "what is wrong with this picture?" Where did all the nature's sounds go??? May haunt you forever.
 The best part is the 3 AM Carbon Monoxide detector, that lost its tone to present the timely "Reveille?"
 It also lets you know your still alive and it gives you its best warning for a memorable maintenance to be scheduled
 immediately.
 Blame the janitor not the detector.

http://www.presspublications.com/opinionscolumns/laura-on-life/834-false-alarms

Guess the newer detectors will have to have a Vuvuzelas attached instead.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/07/2010 21:55:48 »
I was wondering if sound travels a bit further at dawn because of the stillness of the air. Also, I think our hearing is more acute then too, so it may just be a perception problem.

Anyone know?
You often get temperature inversions in the morning where the ground is warmer than the air. The sound normally radiates equally in all directions, up down left right etc. but when there's an inversion then the up sound bends back down again, a sort of acoustic mirage.

Sound carries better in the morning then later in the day, because of that.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02/07/2010 22:13:44 »

Anyone know?
You often get temperature inversions in the morning where the ground is warmer than the air. The sound normally radiates equally in all directions, up down left right etc. but when there's an inversion then the up sound bends back down again, a sort of acoustic mirage.

Sound carries better in the morning then later in the day, because of that.

Ah! Thanks! So it may not just be my imagination. I wonder if birds take advantage of this effect to transmit their songs further?

BTW - I actually really enjoy the birds around here. We see everything from tiny hummingbirds to eagles and ospreys.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/07/2010 22:33:24 »
Oops got my temps around the wrong way- it's the ground that's colder than the air, because the ground radiates to space.

Offline ameliaswank

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/07/2010 14:41:04 »
You frequently catch warmth inversions in the first light where the ground is furnace than the air. The echo usually radiates uniformly in all paths, up, down, left , right and  etc. however as soon as there is an inversion then the up side noise curve reverse down another time, a kind of sound hallucination. Sound takes better in the sunrise after that in the day, since that reason.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04/07/2010 20:56:41 »
So are the birds claiming their territory anew every morning? or is it something else such as "I'm the best mate for miles?"

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04/07/2010 21:04:11 »
So are the birds claiming their territory anew every morning? or is it something else such as "I'm the best mate for miles?"

Maybe the're just trying to pick up a bird?

Offline tangoblue

• RANDOMNESS RULES!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26/07/2010 23:39:09 »
I have a budgie in my room and it makes so much noise in the morning (5 o'clockish) i don't even notice the birds outside.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 26/07/2010 23:39:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length