The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A question on White Blood Cells  (Read 2333 times)

Offline The Scientist

• Its great to be me!
    • View Profile
A question on White Blood Cells
« on: 01/07/2010 13:11:12 »
If the body does not contain White Blood Cells, are there any other ways to fight bacteria in the body that is natural such as the White Blood Cell, which is naturally found in the body? Please give your answers as detailed as possible. Thank you very much.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23/11/2011 05:30:25 »
Well, there's not much that would keep you alive, but epithelial tissue cells produce cytokines, a chemical that causes inflammation and fever. Fever supposedly slows the growth of certain organisms.

Skin is a mechanical barrior against bacteria. The flushing action of urine keeps bacteria out of the urinary tract. The acid ph of the stomach deters intestinal bacteria. Bile inhibits the growth of some but not all bacteria.

Lysozyme is an enzyme that attacks the cell walls of bacteria. It's found in saliva, mucous, tears.

Transferrin may bind up iron so that it is not available for bacteria to use.

There's also something called the complement cascade but I don't think it can function independently of white blood cells and antibodies.

Thats all I can think of.

Offline bumblebee

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/12/2011 18:30:03 »
we also have many mechanisms that try to block substances from entering our bodies in the first place, for example sneezing, the lysozyme enzymes in our tears, and the skin is a natural barrier.. there are many more!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 11/12/2011 18:30:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums