The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can any one help me identify this rock please?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline KingV

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can any one help me identify this rock please?
« on: 03/07/2010 00:10:38 »
I found this rock in my front yard, i kept it in my room for a while so today i got really bored and started looking at it, I notice that it had little specs of gold hopefully its reall gold and im not sure what type of rock this is.
this is the gold spec and there are nore on here
« Last Edit: 03/07/2010 00:18:45 by KingV »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2010 01:02:28 »
Bigger ...

« Last Edit: 03/07/2010 19:09:00 by RD »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2010 18:43:16 »
Well let's see here. There are two white minerals - one that can be scratched with a pocket knife and the other which cannot. The more "clear white" of the two would be unable to be scratched and that would be quartz. The dull white stuff should be scratchable and would likely be a limestone or dolomite. The green

The green color and quartz makes me think it COULD be gold. Green is very often associated with copper, commonly found along with gold.

To me - and I will wait for the opinion of Mr. Fish (Bass) our mining geologist before this is considered correct - is that this is part of the edge of a breccia zone next to a quartz vein that could contain gold. The green would probably be azutrtie or malachite or another copper mineral.

You could have a gold ore gold so if we could get some close-up pictures it would be very helpful.

Also, where did this come from? The Appalachians? Colorado, any states west of Kansas? 

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2010 01:30:48 »
Some of the Motherlode quartz veins look very similar to this.  The green (assuming the photo accurately shows the color) is too dark to be malachite.  perhaps diopside? chlorite? actinolite?  I can't make out the "gold" in these photos- so like JimBob suggested- could you provide a close-up with sharper focus?

JB- where did you get that one of the white minerals could be scratched while the other cannot?

In the Motherlode these types of veins can contain visible gold- but more commonly the mineral is pyrite.  Like JimBob, I'd be curious as to a general location.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2010 01:30:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums