The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Can I Add To Water To Make It Boil At A Reduced Temperature ?  (Read 5319 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Boiling Water-ologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff to boil water. Boiling water is my all time favourite heating-water-up past time. There’s so many uses for boiling water…ewe can cook peas or melt a snowman……well there ewe are !!..what more could ewe ask for ?

See my boiling water here ?

My Boiling Water Here.

Nice eh ?..

Now I know that if I add some salt it makes the water boil at a higher temperature yes ?…well..apart from taking it up a mountain is there anything I can add to my water to make it boil at a lower temperature ?

Whajafink ?

Hugs & shmishes

Mwah mwah

Neil
Susan Boyle
xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
You could always dump some alcohol into it. Mind you, the alcohol will soon evaporate and you'll be back to water again.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If the kind of alcohol or, more generally, the chemical, added to water is non water-soluble, its vapour pressure would add to that of water, decreasing the water boiling point. This effect is exploited in chemistry, in steam distillation (in this case it's the opposite: the organic, non water-soluble chemical decreases its boiling point by adding steam to it):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_distillation
Adding a chemical like ether, dispersing it in water, you shoud get good results.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2010 11:20:13 by lightarrow »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Thank ewe both very much Geezer and Lightarrow.....so...once the alcohol/chemical has evaporated would the water stop boiling and only restart again once it then continues up to 100C ?

Cheers peeps.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Thank ewe both very much Geezer and Lightarrow.....so...once the alcohol/chemical has evaporated would the water stop boiling and only restart again once it then continues up to 100C ?
Using a non water soluble chemical of the kind I wrote, both water and that chemical boil at a lower temperature. If the chemical's percentage is lower than water's perc., then it will vaporize completely before water, in the other case it'll be the opposite.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
You could add altitude - that would change it's boiling point.  

At the peak of everest (8848m above sea level) water should boil at about 68°C.

Do you have any spare altitude, Neil?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Using a non water soluble chemical of the kind I wrote, both water and that chemical boil at a lower temperature. If the chemical's percentage is lower than water's perc., then it will vaporize completely before water, in the other case it'll be the opposite.

Sorted !..Understood....THANK EWE lightspeed.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
You could add altitude - that would change it's boiling point.  

At the peak of everest (8848m above sea level) water should boil at about 68°C.

Do you have any spare altitude, Neil?

Attitude at Altitude ! 
;D

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
I know sheep are good on mountains...but in those heels?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I know sheep are good on mountains...but in those heels?
Modern sheeps can't do without elegant shoes in every situation, didn't you know?  ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums