The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have I got schizophrenia ?  (Read 15115 times)

Offline heythere

• View Profile
Have I got schizophrenia ?
« on: 15/08/2003 02:05:53 »
Can someone please tell me the symptoms of schizophrenia?
I know there has been a certain amount of bull **** around these forums recently, but this isn't one of those posts.
You know when you hear people talking about 'voices in the head' and such? Well I think I've got that. It's not a sound but more like myself telling me things (in thought form) like, (this will sound strange) something bad is going to happen (many occasions I've had many things er...said), and I tend to argue with myself. LOL. It isn't as bad as I've made out, but it seems I have two SEPERATE streams of thought. Sometimes it's quite noticable, sometimes not at all. I know this sounds strange, but can anyone please offer me some kind of explanation.
I've gone too long without saying anything, and I feel I need to get this off of my chest.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards

Offline heythere

• View Profile
Re: Have I got schizophrenia ?
« Reply #1 on: 15/08/2003 02:20:51 »
Another thing, I've been having a general feeling of numbness recently.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 15/08/2003 19:00:49 »
Have you smoked or are you still smoking cannabis ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/08/2003 19:53:43 »
You're having some dissociation.  That's one of the symptoms.  Back to the voices -- do they tell you negative stuff about yourself?  Are you having trouble telling what is real or not?  Are you having trouble concentrating or focusing?  Are you getting paranoid?  Is any outside influence controlling or attempting to control you?

Bezoar

Offline heythere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/08/2003 05:09:47 »
hey, thanks for your responses.
The 'voices' don't tell me negative stuff about myself, more like other people, it's hard to explain. I have, and do smoke cannabis, but it started long before I even touched the stuff.
I have no trouble at all telling what is real and what isn't and I have no trouble focusing.
I've been having a bit of breathing difficulty, it feels like I'm going to stop breathing, but I suppose thi could be paranoia.
I dont know what you mean by an oustide influence trying to control me. I feel completely in control, it's just a niggling 'voice' in my head. The best way to describe it is like uncontrolled thoughts. I 'say' things in my head (though it's not like me saying them) that I can't control, but they are things that I wouldn't usually say (if that makes sense)
Regards

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 18/08/2003 22:03:13 »
I don't think that you have schizophrenia. Classically people with schizophrenia describe voices external to themselves, which are not their own voice, and are real. You describe hearing your own voice inside your head and you are fully aware that this is not a real phenomenon. Hence it sounds as though you have full insight into your situation and are not suffering hallucinations. Many 'normal' people describe hearing their own voice 'thinking aloud' (but in their heads) the course of their actions. It's not that dissimilar to reading and sometimes hearing yourself reading in your head.

chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline heythere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/08/2003 23:12:34 »
ok cheers Chris.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22/08/2003 05:57:18 »
Is it possible that this could be some sort of "internal tourettes(sp)"? If it's uncommon thoughts and uncontrolled......

Just a thought.

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22/08/2003 12:12:45 »
I don't think so - to return to an earlier example if I say "don't think about kangaroos", despite the negative instruction what is the first thing that goes through your mind ? It's uncontrolled because by saying to yourself "don't do that" you are sending the message "do it more" to your subconscious.

I always smile when people say things like "don't worry" a#or "don't panic" - almost as bad as saying "don't look down"...

Chris

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/08/2003 12:25:41 »
I'm confused.  Chris has a new name, "thedoc," no Groucho Marx quote, is now forum administrator but has been demoted to two stars.  Is this still Chris the newlywed Radio-Doc?  Down to 11 posts as well.  Do I take it this is a new title and  promotion for you?

Bezoar

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22/08/2003 15:55:29 »
Nah - it's just an admin login which allows additional manipulation of the forum software. I happened to be using it when I replied to the above post. I'm still my normal self...I hope !

Chris

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22/08/2003 20:37:37 »
OK Doc, so it's just an alias.  Did I tell you about my daughter's dyslexic girlfriend who married a Greek man?  She wanted to giveher son a Greek name, Ilias, but she couldn't spell, so she named him Alias, and the middle name?  Anon.  True story.

Bezoar

Offline skippy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16/11/2003 10:05:12 »
hey ive been researching skitzoprenia for an art assignment, and ive realised that i have some of the symptoms....firstly i can never concentrate in my classes anymore when i used to get straight A's, i avoid all social events because im scared of ppl, i don't hear voices but i have negetive thoughts that "tell" me things all the time but its me in my head its no other voices, a while back i thought i was possessed and i think i may be again, when i was in a really really depressed state i was looking into the mirror and my face changed into somthing scary..........i dont know whats happening to me, im 17 and ive just gotten over anorexia.  can someone please help me out with this? i dont know whats happening to me...i also have depression and visit psychologists and physciartists..but they havent said anything..im so confused.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #13 on: 16/11/2003 19:10:45 »
heythere:

I think I know what you're dealing with, I periodically get the same thing.  My internal dialogue seems louder and more focused, I'll get random streams of talking, images, and music.  It's never external, it never tells me things, and I'm perfectly aware of what it is, it's just more annoying than anything else.  I've had it for years, and I've noticed that what sets it off is over-stimulation.  Certain people's minds tend to be more sensitive to stimuli (ask someone who is a true case of ADD what that's like) and watching a lot of television, playing a lot of video games, or even listening to a lot of music for extended periods of time can induce a more profound effect.  The difficulty breathing you describe is also familiar to me, and I believe it is anxiety related.  I never had the sporadic breathing problems until the random annoying thoughts started, but they are not always occuring at the same time.  

My solution for dealing with it?  Meditation and the occasional toke.  I've seen acquaintences that have similar situations take care of it with drugs like Wellbutrin or Paxil, but I am not a big fan of that type of medication.  Possible seizures and impotence?  Thanks, but I'll stick with the craziness.

Out of curiousity, did something in particular start this for you?  Mine started just after a particularly traumatic experience with a well known powerful hallucinogen...I took way too much and had a hard time dealing with the effects. My doctor seems to think it's a post traumatic stress reaction based on the symptoms.  Did something traumatic (Drug related or otherwise) happen that made this start happening to you?

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline skippy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20/11/2003 10:58:13 »
please someone reply

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20/11/2003 11:05:08 »
Skippy,

I you've had problems with anorexia, depression, and social anxiety and your psychologist hasn't prescribed therapy or medication, I'd find a new one.  It sounds like you need to see someone who can help you.  Remember too that it's very common for someone your age to experience anxiety and depression for no good reason.  I seem to remember the tail end of puberty being a b*tch.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #16 on: 20/11/2003 21:40:46 »
Dear Skippy

it doesn't sound to me like you have schizophrenia. For a start you have sufficient insight to put down your thoughts and fears on this website. People will genuine schizophrenia lack insight into their condition and would never question the reality of their delusions e.g. "I thought I was possessed" (significant past tense indicating that you don't think that now).

I think that, in fact, you have just lost your perspective a bit and this is often a consequence of anxiety and depression. Dwelling on what is wrong with you just serves to make you more anxious and depressed and the whole thing repeats in a vicious circle that slowly tightens like a noose until you feel strangled (hence the breathing symptoms).

I would start by identifying what has triggered off your mood change - there is usually a precipitant - and asking whether there is anything you can do to change it. in the meantime, neutralise the panic attacks by telling yourself that they are harmless; no one ever died of anxiety and that the symptoms are merely a consequence of too much adrenaline. Once you learn what triggers these feelings off you will find that you can pre-empt and control them so that they no longer bother you. Then you'll be on the road to recovery.

chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline skippy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24/11/2003 12:36:11 »
thanks for replying chris..what you say makes sence, i think i got that involved in researching schizophrenia that maybe i just recalled all the things that may have suggested i could be on my way to having an episode.  thanks again, it was good to tell someone about my worries because i didnt really want to go around telling my parents and friends that i think i have schizophrenia.
byebye now

hi cannabinoid, i have been given medication but i dont take it because i read the fine print and you put on 4 - 6kg in the first few weeks and i figure because its body image that really gets me depressed alot of the time its not the best idea.  but ive been to 2 psychologists and 2 physciartrists and i havent found anyone thats helped me....but im still looking. thanks for replying.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24/11/2003 18:07:43 »
Skippy,

Often times alternative medicine can help with depression and anxiety disorders.  Since you're not finding the help you need with traditional treatment and are hesitant to take prescription medication, it can't hurt to look into something like reiki, yoga, or something of that nature.   I used to have serious anxiety problems that reiki helped me get over without having to medicate myself.  I don't know where you're from, but most US and European cities will have practitioners.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25/11/2003 01:06:03 »
Skippy, cannabinoid has made a good suggestion.  You could start by taking a multi B vitamin supplement along with a calcium magnesium blend.

Offline lpreal

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14/01/2008 03:43:24 »
If you fear that you may be skitzophrenic, you would first need to stay off the drugs.  Drugs in any way is not healthy for you.  Even medicine need to be checked by a doctor because it will have a certain affect on your mind.  If any voices are uncontrolled in your head, there is a chance that you may be using a part of your brain uncommon.  This is just a hypothesis.  Some people toy with the idea, but I don't believe you are really concerned about it if you are doing drugs.  Worst case scenario, you will really be crazy if you continue with the illegal drug treatment.

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14/01/2008 17:43:07 »
I talk to myself all the time, it's not like there's anyone else intelligent enough for me to talk to.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14/01/2008 17:48:20 »
LOL.. Nice..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #22 on: 14/01/2008 17:48:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums