The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If I never cut my hair again will it grow forever  (Read 12069 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
...and that's what I'm thinking about this frosty morn of early crystal freeziness !

Is there a limit to hair growth length ?..there are parts of the body where hair seems to stop growing !!...(unless the hair reaches a certain length and then falls out...clarification please !)...eye brows and eye lashes for instance....and other places that are naughty and rude...

.....but what about the hair on my head ?...or the hair on your head ?..but not UKMicky Michaels head because his head is a snooker ball !:D

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Desert_Rose

• View Profile
Re: If I never cut my hair again will it grow forever
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2006 07:34:32 »
Well, here's what little I know...hair growth is directly related to your body's health at any given time.  
A dear friend, who has on occasion addmited that she is in fact, 1 foot OUT of the grave, is in the process of losing hair.  
The hair on her head is falling, not shedding but falling out.  She's told me that she will trust me to trim her hair of 6inches, and in 3 months another similar chunk, until it only hangs to her collar.
But patches of hair are no longer there!
She brought it up to her Dr.  (As I am her caregiver, she is permitted to have me in with her in any/all of her appointments, especially if I have questions related to her health.)  Her Dr. shrugged told it was a possible side effect of her lifesaving meds.  He suggested that if it really bothered her, she could purchase a wig!  She laughed.

So given the fact that your body has no chance to heal itself from the day's torture, You insomniac, you (insert waggling index finger here...), the fact that you have any hair TO lose is amazing to me. :)
Joanne

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2006 10:18:07 »
i had a girlfriend whose hair was long enough to brush the ground ( granted she was only 5,3) her parents and later herself had never cut it she used to keep it braided and carry it around in a shoulder bag. when she turned 22 she decided to get rid of it and got a shoulder length cut she kept the braid and cried for two solid weeks then dumped me for not talking her out of the haircut!

"Defender of the Sea"

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/01/2006 10:50:03 »
Any individual hair grows for a certain length of time then stops growing and stays the same lnegth for a while, then falls out. Then the follicle has a bit of a rest and starts growing a new hair.
So no, if you don't cut your hair it won't carry on growing forever.
Everyone's hair has a natural length, different for different people.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2006 16:07:23 »
THANK YOU all for your wonderful replies. Joanne..what a wonedrful carer you are..I appreciate your insights into health related hair growth. I wish your dear friend well.

Chris....women eh ?..hair today...gone tomorrow (sorry)

Rosy...thank you for the clarification....so now I know.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
« Last Edit: 13/01/2006 21:59:43 by neilep »

Offline Desert_Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/01/2006 21:48:45 »
Thank you Neil.  I will pass it on.
Joanne

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/01/2006 12:46:04 »
During many experiments with tilting the bed as mentioned previously, we encountered unusual hair growth, which has been confirmed time and time again.

Hair does not appear to drop out as it did prior to tilting the bed, furthermore, pubic hair just keeps on growing and requires trimming. No more short and curlies for us Neil.

Also read that the hair continues to grow long after we have died, and even natural hair which was transplanted into the waxwork dummy of Adolf Hitler at Madam Tussauds Museum was believed to have been still growing.

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 14/01/2006 12:46:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums