The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are we losing the oxygen form our atmosphere at a dangerous rate?  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Are we losing the oxygen from our atmosphere at a dangerous rate?  As the oxygen diminishes, at what point will people start dying from lack of oxygen?  It appears to me that this may be the demise of mankind before the sun gets so hot that it will destroy all life.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
We are not losing oxygen. Where would it be going?

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
We are losing oxygen into outer space at a continuous rate.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oxygen is one of the most common elements of which the Earth is composed, there will never be a shortage.

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
I can remember people saying that we would never run out of oil!  We are losing oxygen at a continuous rate.  As Benjamin Franklin said, "little leaks sink ships!"
Some folks say that is the reason or result of Climate change.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
We gain oxygen from space - as ice in meteors.
Some people will blame anything for climate change because the alternative is that they have to face that we are changing the climate

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
If the oxygen in the carbon dioxide would kindly leave the planet that might not be such a bad thing, but it does not want to go.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
From: http://www.lanl.gov/news/index.php/fuseaction/home.story/story_id/1144

In 3 billion years, they estimate we've lost 2% of our atmospheric oxygen.  From those numbers, the sun will become a red giant (in roughly 5 billion years, from what I recall) before we run out of oxygen.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If we had no CO2 in the atmosphere the average temperature would be -18°C and the oceans would freeze.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
If we had no CO2 in the atmosphere the average temperature would be -18°C and the oceans would freeze.

I don't suppose there would be too many plants and trees either. Not that they'd be able to grow much at those temperatures anyway.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums