The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Pensees de Morbidity !  (Read 3655 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Pensees de Morbidity !
« on: 12/01/2006 06:22:17 »
Dearest Internet Wonderfun of Astute Perspicacitinations,

Please volunteer any morbid thoughts you have here.

Recently I was wondering how much space on the Internet is being used up by people who have passed away. Pages and pages of email accounts, retail web page accounts, blogs, photo gallerys, posts in forums etc etc that will never be used again.

Anyone care to hazard a guess ?..anyone even bothered ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

another_someone

Re: Pensees de Morbidity !
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2006 08:04:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Please volunteer any morbid thoughts you have here.

Recently I was wondering how much space on the Internet is being used up by people who have passed away. Pages and pages of email accounts, retail web page accounts, blogs, photo gallerys, posts in forums etc etc that will never be used again.

Anyone care to hazard a guess ?..anyone even bothered ?

What do you mean by never used again?

Is not the use by the person who accesses the site just as much as the person who posted the material, or who originally wrote the material.

Does the fact that William Shakespeare is dead (God rest his soul) mean that his work is useless, and will never be used again?

If I were to die tomorrow, would all the material I have posted on this site be considered more useless after my death than it was before my death (I am not saying it is anything but useless in either case, just I doubt it will become more useless)?

Ofcourse, email accounts and private web space are another matter.

The reality, I doubt that most email accounts and web pages will outlive their owners by more than about a year.  Often these need to be paid for, in which case when it comes time to pay the next bill, the account will probably not be renewed.  Free email accounts, such as yahoo or MSN, usually get flushed after a period of inactivity.

Ofcourse, the fact that an email account or web site has been removed does not mean that mirrors, caches, and other copies of the material do not exist on the Internet for some considerable time after that.  In fact, by law ISP's I believe must now store e-mail for 7 years, so if I were to die tomorrow, I can be certain the the police and various government agencies could still look back at my emails for up to 7 years after my death.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2006 08:26:42 by another_someone »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2006 15:49:09 »
Yes.. I meant all the private space out there.....in fact my examples cited, except the forum posts alluded to spaces of privacy.

Thank you for your reply and clearing that up for me. Interesting...

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/01/2006 22:31:00 »
quote:
In fact, by law ISP's I believe must now store e-mail for 7 years

I thought it had just been doubled from 6 months to 1 year. Or am I getting confused with phone texts?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2006 22:43:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

quote:

I thought it had just been doubled from 6 months to 1 year. Or am I getting confused with phone texts?

No...you can't be confused..I have the monopoly on confusion here..(well..maybe one or two others too ;))

It doesn't surprise me about the legislation to store emails...just like accounts !!..but then..WHO owns the email ?..and can we view our emails that are stored ?...can you imagine how many emails that the ISPs have to store ?..what about Spam ?

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2006 23:52:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Yes?
quote:

Never mind the dead on the net,internet storage is now of a size that a lifetime of human sensory input could be stored - chuck in a bit of processing power and maybe you, or something based on you, could "live" in there!  

Now that's scary![:0]  But kind of interesting too :)

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 13/01/2006 03:58:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

quote:

Apologies [:I]

http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/mattloney/0,39020679,39116403,00.htm
quote:

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) has nothing to do with fighting terrorism, and everything to do with regulating how government agencies access data passing through the switchboards and switches of telcos, ISPs and other communications providers for their own investigations. Its conception was received in the assumption that it would be used to target individuals for specific investigations in the same way that phone taps have been used for decades.

One year later, along came the Terrorism Act 2001, and with it measures to ensure that every piece of communications data flowing through UK ISPs and telcos would be stored -- originally for seven years, but now after intense lobbying from all quarters, for 12 months. For the purpose of fighting terrorism, of course.

It also appears that in spite of demands by ISP's that their position be made statuory, to protect them from being sued, it is still voluntary, and may you are correct with your 6 months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_retention#Data_retention_in_the_United_Kingdom
quote:

UK Home Office Voluntary Code of Practice on Data Retention
Subscriber Information - retention period 12 months Subscriber details relating to the person e.g. Name, date of birth, installation and billing address, payment methods, account/credit card details Contact information (information held about the subscriber but not verified by the CSP) e.g. Telephone number, email address Identity of services subscribed to (information determined by the communication service provider) Customer reference/account number, list of services subscribed to Telephony: telephone number(s), IMEI, IMSI(s) Email: email address(es), IP at registration Instant messaging: Internet Message Handle, IP at registration ISP - dial-in: Log-in, CLI at registration (if kept) ISP - always-on: Unique identifiers, MAC address (if kept), ADSL end points, IP tunnel address

Email Data retention period 6 months. Log-on (authentication user name, date and time of log-in/log-off, IP address logged-in from)- sent email (authentication user name, from/to/cc email addresses, date and time sent)- received email (authentication user name, from/to email addresses, date and time received)

If they are retaining e-mail log on information about all their subscribers, they must love me, because my local server logs into my ISP's POP3 every minute to see if new mail has arrived.

Although it is statutory in some countries.

quote:

There are still only two countries in the EU with legal data retention actually in force. Italy retains data for four years and Ireland for three years. The UK's has an extensive system of data retention, but it has not yet been placed on a statutory basis. Belgium has re-introduced the possibility of data retention on 13 June 2005 with a new telecommunication law, but the royal decree stipulating what kind of data should be stored, by which market parties and for what period of time was never issued.

« Last Edit: 13/01/2006 04:05:02 by another_someone »

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29/01/2006 13:52:00 »
Have you herad of www.vampgirl.com a goth site. Posting dreams of supernatural fights of good vs evil...

Titanscape

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 29/01/2006 13:52:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length