The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Time Flies When You're Having Fun .........why ?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Time Flies When You're Having Fun .........why ?
« on: 07/07/2010 10:46:01 »
"time Flies when you're having fun" sang Janet Jackson from her 1986 Album  'Control'.

Well, I have that album and I can't even recall the song however it is now 2010 and I truly can't believe that it's been so many years !!.........

...I'm referring to this idiom in the short term though.......Why does the preoccupation of the mind make ewe feel that an hour has passed in 30 minutes ...rather than ...an hour ?.....why's that then ?

whajafink

Neil

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/2010 23:04:45 »
"time Flies when you're having fun" sang Janet Jackson from her 1986 Album  'Control'.

I think that's a misquote. I think she said it's time for fun when your flies are having a wardrobe malfunction.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/07/2010 18:32:21 »

I think that's a misquote. I think she said it's time for fun when your flies are having a wardrobe malfunction.

I think your thoughts about the ponderous nature as to whether it's a misquote is quite correct i think.

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/07/2010 20:25:11 »
I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but here is my take on it anyway....

I think that when you are having fun, the brain is really 'engaged' in activity. Because of this over-engagement the chemical balance is tilted and certain functions are hence reduced, and one of these functions is time awareness.

I should also state that other activities that are also engaging but not necessarily fun have a similar outcome, for example : Writing exams is not my idea of fun, but the time really seems to fly because your brain is engaged. And if you have not studied and don't know the work then time seems to stand still cos your brain is not engaged.

Another completely different opinion I just thought of now, is that perhaps it is an evolutionary mechanism that is present for the purpose of promoting brain growth and development, IE : The brain likes to get more evolved and when it is heavily active then it turns off time monitoring so that it can focus on growing and building new connections....\

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2010 12:42:33 »
I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but here is my take on it anyway....

I think that when you are having fun, the brain is really 'engaged' in activity. Because of this over-engagement the chemical balance is tilted and certain functions are hence reduced, and one of these functions is time awareness.

I should also state that other activities that are also engaging but not necessarily fun have a similar outcome, for example : Writing exams is not my idea of fun, but the time really seems to fly because your brain is engaged. And if you have not studied and don't know the work then time seems to stand still cos your brain is not engaged.

Another completely different opinion I just thought of now, is that perhaps it is an evolutionary mechanism that is present for the purpose of promoting brain growth and development, IE : The brain likes to get more evolved and when it is heavily active then it turns off time monitoring so that it can focus on growing and building new connections....\

Thank Ewe very much latebind. Those are great comments, well speculated and most probably correct too. I suspect this may be one of those 'impossible to answer as a matter of fact' questions because we know so little about the workings of the mind that all we can really take are educated guesstimates. Yours seem perfectly sound to me.

I'm not too sure about the brain turning off the monitoring of time rather than the perception of time gets swamped by the need to concentrate on the task in hand. So yes, ewe are right, it need not be a fun time that makes time fly !

I gather concentrating on the time itself does not make the perception of it alter  ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2010 12:42:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums