The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can someone here Teach us a bit about Sacred Geometry?  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I have read a tiny bit on the subject. I would like to have some more background from some of you folks here without being referred away from our forum....If some of you would please begin an explanation and or a bit of back ground on the subject,then allow me to ask bone headed questions when I need to, I would love to learn a bit about this, and how it may or may not apply to the human body, and or, healing of our bodies and minds. Even if all you can do is to help me in separating the fact from fiction... and helping me understand in laymans terms the basics, I would be grateful and .
very interested in learning from you.

Thank you in advance.

Karen

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Can someone here Teach us a bit about Sacred Geometry?
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2010 10:09:18 »
The nested polygons, hedrons, and stellations that form the basis of many of the great cathedrals of europe are fascinating and I have no doubt that there is something aesthetically pleasing and intriguing about the golden ratio and spiral; but when the collision of maths and beauty descends into mysticism I lose interest. 

I think it was the bbc series Baroque that had a great section on the confluence of geometric complexity and natural curves - I remember a fantastic shot of a convent church domed roof.  I will try and get a picture - I can see it clearly in my minds eye; a beautiful pure white dome like the interior of a polyhedron.

Matthew

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/07/2010 04:12:04 »
Thank you Mathew that would be very good. I tend to agree with you and really do want to know a bit more.. Thanks...Look forward to seeing your picture if you can find it.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/07/2010 11:17:03 »
BBC replayed it last week - its available for next 24 hours or so on iplayer here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00j4d3g#synopsis .  the section I remembered was 20 mins in to the programme (although I think it was one of the best art series ever and worth watching from beginning to end).

The section is much shorter than I remember - but that roof is still beautiful; it's Boromini's san carlo in roma

link here to wikimedia page

I hope you get the chance to watch it before it expires - but I get impression they show it regularly and thus it becomes available regularly on iplayer as well.  I will try and remember the more detailed programme I saw on this theme

Matthew

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/07/2010 13:49:53 »
I went to watch and this was the message I was given:

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you. Why?

If you are in the UK and see this message please read this advice.

Go to Radio channels home page

Thanks Matthew for your assistance...and the lovely shot of that Dome? Its beautiful!

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/07/2010 15:06:06 »
Sorry Karen - both the BBC and I are too anglo-centric.  I hadn't thought of you being outside the UK (quite apart from the fact that your appellation states "...posts 31948 USA "come fly...") and the BBC refuses to supply its tv programmes to those outside the UK without more payment. 

From memory San Carlo is constructed on a cruciform shape, with a nested rectangle at the centre, with an oval inside, with a diamond inside that, and another oval in the centre.  Frankly the roof is just showing off! 

Matthew

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16/07/2010 22:23:01 »
Its absolutely beautiful! Thanks Mathew..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 16/07/2010 22:23:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length