The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Effect on hazard classification of diluting hydrobromic acid?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline pkgem

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Does anyone know the effect on hazard classification of diluting hydrobromic acid? Concentrated hydrobromic acid is classed as a corrosive. I have made a 2M solution of the acid and do not know whether the solution is still classed as Corrosive (C) or whether it is now classed as an Irritant (Xi) or Harmful (Xn). I work as a lab tech in a university hence my interest in proper hazard labelling. Please does anyone know the answer? Better yet, does anyone know of a website or book were the effects on hazard classification of diluting acids (and other chemicals) is discussed?

Many thanks,
Gem

Offline pkgem

• First timers
    • View Profile
Effect on hazard classification of diluting hydrobromic acid?
« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2010 12:11:29 »
Thanks Lightarrow but it is the hazard data specific to a 2M solution that I require. Cheers anyway  :)

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2010 14:11:59 »
I don't want to sound like an old fogey; but surely, as a lab-tech in a university, you must have access to a more reliable source of hazard and safety information than an internet forum!

This forum is replete with highly knowledgeable and helpful/friendly contributors  - they almost outnumber the wackos, single-issue fanatics, and trolls; you are lucky the only response is from lightarrow who has provided a sensible answer and method to continue research.  i count myself as ignorant but unmalicious in chemistry matters - but there is no way one can tell from an answer on a forum what the hidden agenda of the responder is. 

Matthew

Offline pkgem

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2010 15:27:00 »
I see your point Matthew but I'm new to the Chemical Engineering department - there are more engineers, physicists and mathematicians than chemists here. I have found plenty of information on concentrated hydrobromic acid in textbooks and on the internet, not that I needed it as I have the original material safety data sheet anyway. However, when it comes to a 2M solution, I cannot find any information. As for "hidden agendas", I'm hoping for an answer along the lines of "still corrosive" or "no longer corrosive in dilute form - irritant/harmful instead" - I'm not sure how much agenda you can hide in such answers? Thanks for your concern anyway.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2010 15:27:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums