The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tortoises  (Read 15260 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 12656
  • Thanked: 3 times
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Tortoises
« on: 12/01/2006 22:14:40 »
Why do they move so slowly? Do they move slowly because of the weight of their shell or did they evolve the shell because they move so slowly?


 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2006 22:33:16 »
What a great question.....Why would a tortoise need to run fast ?...hmmmm...to catch a fast moving dandelion perhaps ?...

I don't think I could run fast with a big shell on my back....I know Turtles can swim...can Tortoises ?...the reason I ask is because Turtles are aquatic and therefore can swim a lot faster than they can walk....but maybe Tortoises CAN move faster !...

Oh where are all the 'Speed of Tortoise ' experts when we need them ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
 

Offline ukmicky

  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3011
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2006 22:49:37 »
I wonder if the reason why they move so slowly is tied into the reason why they live so long.

Do animals with slow heart rates live longer and move slower,and because they cant run from trouble evolution then gave them a shell

Michael                 HAPPY NEW YEAR                    
« Last Edit: 12/01/2006 22:56:23 by ukmicky »
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #3 on: 13/01/2006 01:07:59 »
You try running fast with your legs stuck out at your sides in order to around the edge of your shell.

In fact, there are not many reptiles with the same efficiency of locomotion as mammals, although quite a number can do better than the tortoises.

What is even more interesting is why sloths are so slow.  The argument for sloths is that their diet does not provide them with enough energy to move fast, so the same may well be true for tortoises.  Another argument for the slow speed of sloths is that it improves their camouflage.  Again, one might ask if the same might be true of  tortoises.

The long life span, on might guess, in part derives from a slow metabolism, and in part from a lack of predation.  I'm not saying simply that it lives long because it is unlikely to be killed by a predator, but that there is very little point in developing a body design that can survive in excess of a century if you are likely to be on someone's dinner plate within a decade that would be wasteful over-engineering.
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #4 on: 13/01/2006 04:18:10 »
Well I think it's great that Tortoises are slow...they make excellent doorstops !





Ok roll on your 101 uses for Tortoises...discus ?..book ends ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
 

ROBERT

  • Guest
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #5 on: 13/01/2006 10:59:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Well I think it's great that Tortoises are slow...they make excellent doorstops !

Ok roll on your 101 uses for Tortoises...discus ?..book ends ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!



Meat pies with an extra crispy crust.[:p]
« Last Edit: 13/01/2006 11:06:18 by ROBERT »
 

sharkeyandgeorge

  • Guest
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #6 on: 13/01/2006 11:36:24 »
I dont care how fast they move i just want one can you still buy them legally?

"Defender of the Sea"
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #7 on: 13/01/2006 15:27:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by sharkeyandgeorge

I dont care how fast they move i just want one can you still buy them legally?

"Defender of the Sea"



I think you can but only from breeders here in the UK. As far as I know the banning of importing them has been in place for a few years now. If you have no luck in sourcing one, just buy a frozen meat pie and draw some legs on it !;)

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
 

Offline DoctorBeaver

  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 12656
  • Thanked: 3 times
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #8 on: 13/01/2006 22:01:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone


What is even more interesting is why sloths are so slow.  


I don't think that's more interesting at all :)
 

Offline DoctorBeaver

  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 12656
  • Thanked: 3 times
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #9 on: 13/01/2006 22:03:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

I wonder if the reason why they move so slowly is tied into the reason why they live so long.



I've long held a suspicion that all hearts beat a certain number of times (forget about heart disease) and the faster the beat, the shorter the life-span.
This was sort-of confirmed by something I heard a while back (it may even have been on NS)
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #10 on: 13/01/2006 22:25:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

I've long held a suspicion that all hearts beat a certain number of times (forget about heart disease) and the faster the beat, the shorter the life-span.
This was sort-of confirmed by something I heard a while back (it may even have been on NS)



I remember hearing that theory elsewhere before.

Ofcourse, that would imply that all of this exercise we should be doing is really shortening our lives [:o)]
 

Offline DoctorBeaver

  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 12656
  • Thanked: 3 times
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #11 on: 13/01/2006 22:35:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

I've long held a suspicion that all hearts beat a certain number of times (forget about heart disease) and the faster the beat, the shorter the life-span.
This was sort-of confirmed by something I heard a while back (it may even have been on NS)



I remember hearing that theory elsewhere before.

Ofcourse, that would imply that all of this exercise we should be doing is really shortening our lives [:o)]



I was talking about an average for the species
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #12 on: 14/01/2006 00:13:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

Ofcourse, that would imply that all of this exercise we should be doing is really shortening our lives [:o)]



I was talking about an average for the species



Yes, my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.
 

Offline Solvay_1927

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 383
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #13 on: 14/01/2006 03:06:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep
Ok roll on your 101 uses for Tortoises...discus ?..book ends ?

You could use them as frisbees that will always return to you.



Eventually.
 

Offline DoctorBeaver

  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 12656
  • Thanked: 3 times
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #14 on: 14/01/2006 12:16:55 »
Turn the tortoise upside-down & paint an arrow on it for a novel twist of "spin the bottle"
 

ROBERT

  • Guest
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #15 on: 16/01/2006 10:24:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by sharkeyandgeorge

I dont care how fast they move i just want one can you still buy them legally?

"Defender of the Sea"



If you fancy a "waterproof tortoise" do not buy a "snapping turtle",
if you wish to keep all of your digits:-
http://www.chelydra.org/snapping_turtle_handling.html.
« Last Edit: 16/01/2006 10:26:19 by ROBERT »
 

Offline daveshorts

  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2583
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #16 on: 16/01/2006 13:30:28 »
There does seem to be a maximum number of heart beats that mammals live to which holds for most types of mammals... apart from humans, if I remember rightly we live to 2-3 times this limit, so it can't be all that hard and fast.
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #17 on: 16/01/2006 15:41:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts

There does seem to be a maximum number of heart beats that mammals live to which holds for most types of mammals... apart from humans, if I remember rightly we live to 2-3 times this limit, so it can't be all that hard and fast.



Humans, if living outside of the protection of human society, would probably not live half as long as we do.  Many other animals living within a zoo, or other sheltered environment, can extend their natural lifespan considerably.

 

Offline AlphBravo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 65
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #18 on: 17/01/2006 00:14:00 »
If you look at a tortoise, it has a shell and quite a rough hide, and being able to withdraw into the shell would stymy most predators.
If they can move constantly in a direction they could basically follow the food chain.
Also being able to endure a period without,
The turtle is another matter, fairly omniverous and usually being confined to water, but able to venture off to find other watercourses etc.
 

Offline DoctorBeaver

  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 12656
  • Thanked: 3 times
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #19 on: 17/01/2006 04:15:31 »
So which came first, slow movement or the shell?
 

Offline ukmicky

  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3011
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #20 on: 17/01/2006 04:18:06 »
it was probably  a mixture of both

Michael                 HAPPY NEW YEAR                    
« Last Edit: 17/01/2006 04:26:12 by ukmicky »
 

Offline DoctorBeaver

  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 12656
  • Thanked: 3 times
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #21 on: 17/01/2006 04:39:36 »
Without the bulk of an elephant seal or walrus, or the claws of a giant sloth, slowness of movement can be decidedly hazardous.
I may be inclined to agree with you, though, as even some fairly fast-moving animals have shells of a sort. Take the pangolin, for example. I would think the logical progression would be to get some kind of shell & then slow down. Slowing down without a protective shell, or bulk or weapons with which to defend oneself, seems to me to be a recipe for extinction.
 

Offline GOD

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 67
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #22 on: 18/01/2006 17:23:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

 Slowing down without a protective shell, or bulk or weapons with which to defend oneself, seems to me to be a recipe for extinction.



What about Slugs ? I made them as easy targets.

I am GOD..You are Not..I don't exist !!
 

Offline ukmicky

  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3011
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #23 on: 19/01/2006 00:27:48 »
As slugs don't have any form of protection evolution has taken other route's in order to ensure survival of the species , Firstly slugs are active mainly during the night when most of the creature's that feed on them are not about. Secondly they are hermaphrodites,they are both male and female and do not require the assistance of any other slugs to breed (boring)And lastly i believe they produce large amounts of offspring ensuring that some will survive the year.

Life's a real bitch, there's me dreaming of becoming a scientist and what happens, i become a slug expert. :D



Michael                 HAPPY NEW YEAR                    
 

another_someone

  • Guest
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #24 on: 19/01/2006 09:41:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

Secondly they are hermaphrodites,they are both male and female and do not require the assistance of any other slugs to breed (boring)And lastly i believe they produce large amounts of offspring ensuring that some will survive the year.

Life's a real bitch, there's me dreaming of becoming a scientist and what happens, i become a slug expert. :D




I realised they were  hermaphrodites, but I did not realise they were self-fertilising.  I had always believed that you did require two slugs to mate, but each would be fertilised by the other.
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Tortoises
« Reply #24 on: 19/01/2006 09:41:56 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums