The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why did Vacuum Tube Technology tolerate heavy loading on the finals of an amp?  (Read 9225 times)

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Sadly you can get cheaper and nastier than the 2N3055, all you need is to look at those that come in a TO220 package, where the cost of the package is greater than the cost of the die inside. Especially if you are buying an "off spec" device as well.

I do remember having some that were sold as off spec, many were so bad they could not be operated at 20% of the ratings, and were all uniformly right at the bottom of the gain range for the type.

I still have a few dozen NOS germanium transistors, some point contact but most are alloyed.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Geezer, I worked on equipment that was poorly designed, and had a switching transistor that was poorly heatsinked, and badly driven. Peak current was 40A and average was 10A, well beyond your common 2N3055. I used to select the transistors based on BE saturation voltage, as a few mV here made a difference ( along with selecting a 2N2219A driver that had a high gain and would saturate with the limited drive) between surviving a while or going short circuit in worst case or merely unsoldering itself at best. Eventually I got a good batch of BUX40 that would survive, the batch was at the top end of spec for Hfe and most did survive.

A 2N3055, depending on who made it, often has a gain roll off at under 10kHz, not what you would like in an amplifier. I did use some as active loads, by soldering leads onto then and dropping them into a ceramic cup ( old tea cup) filled with cold water. Driven with a 555 timer and used to test power supplies for load stability, they generally worked well until all the water had boiled off, then glowed white hot and burnt out.

You had something the size of a 2n3055 glow white hot? What were you powering it with?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length