The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there an updraft in the largest hole in the world that will affect aircraft?  (Read 3533 times)

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Is there an up draft in the lagest hole in the world strong enough to affect aircraft?

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
I don't know what you mean by the la[r]gest hole in the world, but aircraft are affected by updrafts (and downdrafts too) anyway.

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
The largest hole in the world that I know about is a diamond mine in Russia.  I can not see how that would have much effect on aircraft.  Is there another hole that you know about?  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
The largest hole in the world that I know about is a diamond mine in Russia.  I can not see how that would have much effect on aircraft.  Is there another hole that you know about?  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Joe maybe it was not the biggest hole, I am not even sure it was man made.
I vaguely remember seeing it on a special on TV, as I was channel surfing.
 Caught the tail end of the story as the narrator mentioned something about an up draft and warning beacons been put in place to warn aircraft of this updraft.
I was having a bit of difficulty in phrasing the question here. I thought someone might know of this or if I had dreamt it! 
« Last Edit: 13/07/2010 04:40:43 by tommya300 »

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Speaking from experience as a pilot, one tends to get more updrafts and downdrafts around the mountains.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
Speaking from experience as a pilot, one tends to get more updrafts and downdrafts around the mountains.  Thanks for comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Thanks Guys for helping me find an answer, your input statements helped me probe other phenomena and at it all in a different perspective.

Joe I may have the reason of my inaccurate question...

> Flying along the escarpment, you will see a series of deep and rugged canyons. Just short of Guadalupe Mountains National Park is a canyon called Big Canyon. If the wind was light from the south and if one was careful to fly DOWN the canyon and if one entered the canyon with enough speed to make it to the plains below in case of engine failure and if one entered the top of the canyon at about 32 degrees 3¹, 104 degrees 46¹, one could have the experience of flying inside a marine reef, and a spectacular experience it would be. Personally, I recommend against this experience strongly, on safety grounds!

After Big Canyon, I like to fly higher because of the National Park, but it is still pretty easy to spot the stainless steel pyramid right at the top of Guadalupe Peak. You might also spot some hikers. The pyramid was erected by, I believe, American Airlines, as a monument to lost fliers. Many have been lost in the immediate vicinity. Look south from Guadalupe Pass to see hundreds more wind generators up on the ridge tops.

My association to a big hole and big canyon, changes the whole thing that may be the reason I could not find anything. Thanks Joe!

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/enroute_DFW_LRU.htm

« Last Edit: 13/07/2010 16:42:38 by tommya300 »

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There have been clouds inside the largest building in the world, but there would not be much of an updraft from a large hole, as there is no way that air can enter to replace that is going up. You might find that idiots try to fly inside it, and find that aircraft are not really maneuverable at low speed in a confined space and do not climb well when turning tightly. Locally the Kimberly hole is off limits for all aircraft as there are good chances that the noise and vibration from an aircraft near it can cause rockfalls.

Offline Gerry

• First timers
    • View Profile
Locally the Kimberly hole is off limits for all aircraft as there are good chances that the noise and vibration from an aircraft near it can cause rockfalls.

You mean Afrikaners kan bliksem down into the hole? 

*Apologies for the obscure joke only Saffers will understand*

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ja well no fine!

Gerry speaks my language most delishusly.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums