The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the repercussions of historical drop in male testosterone levels ?  (Read 4524 times)

Offline nova

• View Profile
I was shocked to read that male testosterone levels have been decreasing significantly over the past 60 years.  On one of the most popular forums on the Naked Scientist website, POIS (Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome), the importance of testosterone for men's health has been discussed.  There are medical journals that contain data that suggests that low male testosterone levels can lead to: early death, heart disease, low energy, fatigue, depression, etc.  (I can list the references if some-one is interested).

Below is the link to the article that socked me, as well as an excerpt from the article.

newbielink: [nonactive]
 The normal range of testosterone is reported as 350- 1200ng/dl. Studies in the 1940's showed the average testosterone level to be at 700 ng/dl, 300 ng/dl higher than for men today. In the past, a drop in testosterone levels to 250 ng/dl was rarely reported before men were 80 years of age. Yet today, it is not an uncommon value for middle aged men!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums