The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it a question of plumbing?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Is it a question of plumbing?
« on: 14/07/2010 22:04:08 »
The latest attempt to cap the gusher in the Gulf is on hold for a bit while they try to determine the risks of capping it. That seems like a good idea. If capping it causes the whole thing to fail under pressure, it could turn into a far bigger problem.

My question is, isn't it really "just" a case of getting the right sizes of pipes over the point where the oil is being ejected?

If you try to make the flow go up a small bore pipe, there will be a lot of back-pressure. If you allow the flow to enter a much larger bore pipe that runs all the way to the surface, would there be much back-pressure at all?

I realize something like this might present some overwhelming engineering challenges, but is the fundamental science valid or not?

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2010 00:56:29 »
The latest attempt to cap the gusher in the Gulf is on hold for a bit while they try to determine the risks of capping it. That seems like a good idea. If capping it causes the whole thing to fail under pressure, it could turn into a far bigger problem.

My question is, isn't it really "just" a case of getting the right sizes of pipes over the point where the oil is being ejected?

If you try to make the flow go up a small bore pipe, there will be a lot of back-pressure. If you allow the flow to enter a much larger bore pipe that runs all the way to the surface, would there be much back-pressure at all?

I realize something like this might present some overwhelming engineering challenges, but is the fundamental science valid or not?

JimBob can answer that in a snap.
What is the inside diameter bore difference from the original plumbing?
What damage could of occurred below the flume sea floor since all the distruction was above the sea floor?
Was there a strain or fracturing put on the exiting portion of the flume, as the original plumbing toppled, that they are concerned with?
« Last Edit: 15/07/2010 00:59:30 by tommya300 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2010 00:56:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums