The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are chillies addictive??  (Read 11973 times)

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
Are chillies addictive??
« on: 16/08/2003 13:20:37 »
I think they are as i often crave curry, whats everyone else think?

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists
« Last Edit: 16/08/2003 13:41:30 by Exodus »

Offline heythere

• View Profile
Re: Are chillies addictive??
« Reply #1 on: 18/08/2003 05:12:22 »
I don't think that there is anything that can make you chemically addicted to them. Perhaps it's psychological addiction that you experience.

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/08/2003 00:53:16 »
I was talking to the MD from our Singapore factory (an expat Aussie)and he assures me that curry or maybe more specifically, the chillies in it, are addictive. He has to travel to Australia and France fairly often and finds when he goes without any hot food for a couple of days, his stomach starts playing havoc and this is generally followed by a bout of gout. He believes that your stomach gets used to the high acid content of these hot foods and adapts its digestive process.
Maybe Chris can explain this in more medical terms. BTW, welcome back Chris. Hope you enjoyed your honeymoon. It's all downhill from here.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/08/2003 03:22:21 »
Hey, don't crack on the new bride.  Maybe Chris just made a better choice than you.  I'd like to think it's all uphill for them from here.

Bezoar

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/08/2003 04:36:17 »
What do you mean, bezoar. My third wife and I are getting along just great..
Also, some (or all) of my throwaway lines aren't meant to be taken too seriously. I just don't know how to use all of those smiley face things.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/08/2003 23:53:21 »
Like I said, I think this is number one for Chris so hopefully he makes better choices than you -- or me for that matter.  I am down two husbands myself.  Not taking anything too seriously with my history, but I had to stick up for the young bride.  You know, women sort of stick together, right?  Never did learn how to use those smiley faces either.  Good luck to you and number three.  Hope you got it right this time.  I'm still looking.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 20/08/2003 10:28:30 »
Like it Roberth, very funny !!

Actually, going back to the original question regarding the addictiveness of chilli, I don't think that chilli is addictive per-se in the same way that nicotine or heroin is whereby deprivation of these agents produces psychological and physical symptoms.

But it is worth remembering that painful stimuli, like severe exercise, trauma, and eating very spicy food, do trigger the release of the bodies own endogenous (naturally-occurring) opioid-like substances in the brain including endorphin and enkephalin.

Addiction to the rush of your own morphine like substances might explain some peoples' obsession with burning themselves (at both ends) on hot curries, mountain climbing and obsessive severe exercise (see also : http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/articles/article/dalyacolumn6.htm).

Chris

P.S. Married life is fine thanks - probably because we're not actually able to live together at the moment thanks to work...!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline peterbox

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29/08/2004 09:06:02 »
In my experience Chillies can not be addictive but I also say that the body does not crave food as one people think it does when it needs something I believe that this is a function of the mind. As such is the craving for chillies of which I do get myself. I rush of endorphines is very enjoyable. Arnold (can't spell name) ie Terminator was once quoted as saying that endorphine rush was better than sex and that was he became a body builder as the rush to suppress the pain in weights is like that of eating a very of dish.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/09/2004 16:20:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Exodus

I think they are as i often crave curry, whats everyone else think?

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

have you tried rolling em up and smoking them ?.....I love chillies too....prob not as hot as you do though, but I'm sure the craving for curry is simply that an aspiration of intyense desire for the flavour that is a complex number of ingredients that make the UK national dish eh ?....if you were addictide to chillies then would it not be the ' chilli' itself you'd be craving ?.......

Oh I don't know !!!...

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 06/09/2004 16:20:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums