The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does CPR On An Infant Require 5 Breaths First ?  (Read 4253 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile

Dearest CPR-ologists,

As a sheepy I of course have just learned about CPR on my first aid course which I passed. I now have a badge and a few certificates that means I can save peoples lives and stuff......which is nice.

And so can Ethelred here....

Ethelred Doing CPR

What I have been taught is that......unlike an adult......an infant (1 year or less) must commence with 5 breaths then 30 compressions then 2 rescue breaths …..ie: 5 rescue breaths initially then 30 compressions and 2 rescue breaths…30 then 2 then 30 then 2 etc etc...... whereas from 1 year above the initial breaths is 2 (not 5).....then 30 compressions then 2 breaths etc etc..

Why’s that then ?…why does an infant require 5 rescue breaths in the first instance rather than 2 ?

If ewe help me then I will know why...*le sigh*.....and until I know..I guess I won’t know.....but I want to know......so will ewe help me know ?

Ta

Hugs et les shmishes

Mwah mwah mwah

Neil
I Have A badge And Certificates
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: 15/07/2010 22:03:23 by neilep »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Why Does CPR On An Infant Require 5 Breaths First ?
« Reply #1 on: 16/07/2010 01:35:35 »
Maybe the idea is to hyperventilate a bit to maximize the amount of oxygen in your lungs by dispelling as much of the carbon-dioxide as possible?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2010 02:25:01 »
Other sources* say 2 breaths for infants (< 1year ), not 5.

The relative sizes of brain and lungs may be the reason for the suggested additional CPR breaths in the very young.

[* http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/infantcpr.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000011.htm ]
« Last Edit: 16/07/2010 02:32:27 by RD »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/07/2010 09:05:12 »
This is what I remember of an explanation I read once on a pre-hospital care blog (I forget which, there are several, mostly fascinating). I'm not a doctor, etc.

I believe it's at least partly to do with the different likely mechanisms for having-gone-blue which are likely to affect different age groups (so it's at least in part a statistical probabilities thing):

Adults who've fallen down and stopped breathing have most likely stopped breathing because they had a heart attack, so there is quite likely some residual oxygen in the blood and the first priority is to get that moving round and then to start getting more oxygen in.

Kids on the other hand, especially very small kids, rarely have heart attacks. On the other hand they not infrequently just stop breathing for no obvious reason, and if their heart stops afterwards that's because it's run out of oxygen itself. So pushing some more oxygen into them is the priority - there's no point in pumping round blood which is almost sure to be fully de-oxygenated, and occasionally it turns out their heart hasn't stopped and they splutter back to life on just a couple of breaths because their bodies remember what to do (thereby saving on the frankly rather brutal process of chest compressions, which tends to damage ribs..).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/07/2010 12:25:54 »
Maybe the idea is to hyperventilate a bit to maximize the amount of oxygen in your lungs by dispelling as much of the carbon-dioxide as possible?

Thanks Geezer..are ewe referring to me ?..the First Aider ( I have a badge and certificates ewe know  :)) so that i have more oxygen than carbon dioxide to pass on ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16/07/2010 12:31:47 »

The relative sizes of brain and lungs may be the reason for the suggested additional CPR breaths in the very young.

Thanks RD and thanks for the links....here's a UK one http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/accidents-and-first-aid/pages/cpr.aspx which clearly indicates 5 rescue breaths too....clearly there is non concurrence .....my guide to First aid also indicates 5 breaths...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16/07/2010 12:34:06 »
This is what I remember of an explanation I read once on a pre-hospital care blog (I forget which, there are several, mostly fascinating). I'm not a doctor, etc.

I believe it's at least partly to do with the different likely mechanisms for having-gone-blue which are likely to affect different age groups (so it's at least in part a statistical probabilities thing):

Adults who've fallen down and stopped breathing have most likely stopped breathing because they had a heart attack, so there is quite likely some residual oxygen in the blood and the first priority is to get that moving round and then to start getting more oxygen in.

Kids on the other hand, especially very small kids, rarely have heart attacks. On the other hand they not infrequently just stop breathing for no obvious reason, and if their heart stops afterwards that's because it's run out of oxygen itself. So pushing some more oxygen into them is the priority - there's no point in pumping round blood which is almost sure to be fully de-oxygenated, and occasionally it turns out their heart hasn't stopped and they splutter back to life on just a couple of breaths because their bodies remember what to do (thereby saving on the frankly rather brutal process of chest compressions, which tends to damage ribs..).

Thanks Rosy......this explanation seems logical...why I did not ask the trainer at the time I just do not know. Thanks for the response.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/07/2010 13:58:50 »

Thanks RD and thanks for the links....here's a UK one http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/accidents-and-first-aid/pages/cpr.aspx which clearly indicates 5 rescue breaths too....clearly there is non concurrence .....my guide to First aid also indicates 5 breaths...

I also have been trained yearly for the last 28 years for first aid and CPR and over the past, things changed and Neil is correct about adults as well as children and infants.In the USA, at least with our red cross training etc.. it is indeed 5 small breaths, just enough to raise the infants chest.. so not to damage the lungs...same as Neil has explained!

Also, as I recall from my own training, Rose is pretty accurate on the why's...so after clearing mouth with a sweep of finger to check for lodged object you begin to administer the 5 breaths as Neily said.
« Last Edit: 17/07/2010 14:06:05 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 17/07/2010 13:58:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums