The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cybernetics  (Read 5329 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Cybernetics
« on: 14/01/2006 02:53:29 »
There is a professor KEVIN Warwick at Reading university who temporally interfaced electronic motion detectors to his central nervous system that worked in the same way as those that bats use to echo locate. They worked and  gave him an extra sense while the experiment took place.

It got me wondering what other SENSES could you possily add to the the human body using cybernetic implants.

You could have thermal imaging :)

night sight :)

what other weird and wonderful cybernectic senses could we gain

Michael                 HAPPY NEW YEAR                    
« Last Edit: 14/01/2006 20:45:00 by ukmicky »

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Cybernetics
« Reply #1 on: 14/01/2006 20:26:12 »
I guess anything :) sensing is one thing, perceiving it in a useful and tangible way is another, which cybernetics doesnít answer. Imagine If I had a sensor that could detect all the photons hitting my body and the difference in wavelength, how would the brain perceive that so I could use it? It would be like an all seeing eye across my whole skin.
« Last Edit: 14/01/2006 20:28:37 by Ultima »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2006 20:36:12 »
as in my example which i didnt go into with much depth the professor and his brain had to learn how to interperete the electronic signals from the sensors sent to his brain via his nervous system.

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2006 20:45:21 »
Yes but I bet in his mind it felt like one of his other senses. Considering we already have a sense that can detect differences in temperature across parts of our skin... our brain limits how we perceive it. You donít think at all times wow my arm is 1.10943575435987543degC warmer than my little toe. Even when you do think about temperature its only a relative change you sense and over a large area of your skin. Plus you donít perceive it in a different way to touch; its like touch but with the concept of hot and cold added on. Just think about autistic people, they have a hard enough time sorting out whatís going on from their senses and thatís without anyone adding some new ones. Maybe if people had the extra sense from birth it might be different? It all depends on how human minds really develop which is anyoneís guess.

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 14/01/2006 20:52:45 »
Think about cochlear implants, they are a great success story in cybernetic implants. But guess what; they work on the principle that the host has the implant tied into the nerves which go into the part of the brain to do with hearing. They donít perceive the input from the implant in some transcendental way, it just feels like hearing. Why would anything else be different? I think its more worthwhile if we ignore senses, but fiddle with memory. That way you could give everyone access to extra artificial experiences when they need them. Imagine having the whole of human knowledge in your brain there ready for when you think about something. Or how about adding in an extra person inside your head that helps you out, or is someone to talk to when youíre all on ya own. Might be useful if we want to colonise space, stops people going crazy and inventing people in their heads ;) Could even make them a real person, by making you see and feel the touch of them. Wouldnt that be fun!
« Last Edit: 14/01/2006 20:55:57 by Ultima »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/01/2006 22:24:27 »
Can I please place an order for :

1 X Visual Acuity Enhancer so that I may test depth-of-field of clothes ability to be seen through for my important study.

Many Thanks.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/01/2006 02:11:47 »
when you think about it every sense  touch,sight,sound,taste,smell is received at the brain as an electrical impulse which the brain then deciphers and decides for you what it means. when we are first born the brain receives all these new signals which it then has too learn how to interpret.
The implants that the professor used were connected directly to his nervous system and transmitted electrical signals directly to is brain which gave him a new ultrasonic sense he was able to echo locate just like a bat, he said it felt like nothing that you normally feel not like touch sound etc IT WAS LIKE A NEW FEELING and it took a while for him and his brain to get to grips with what he was receiving , The brain had to learn how to interpret  the new signals, .a bit like when a blind person from birth has an operation 20 years later and is able to see for the first time, the brain has to learn how to interpret the new signals.

He also placed an electronic interface in his and his wife's nervous system which electronically transmitted signals through wire's from his nervous system to his wife's allowing them to sort of telegraphically  sense when his wife was exited for instance but without it changing how he felt. if he were to connect it to transmitters it would be like the Borg's in voyager.

« Last Edit: 15/01/2006 04:46:21 by ukmicky »

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 15/01/2006 21:52:20 »
ukmicky you have to remember most of what you read about Kevin Warwick will contain a certain amount of artistic license.

As far as I know people who have been blind since birth lose the ability of sight permanently because their brain adapts to not having the sense available. If you have read differently I would be interested in reading up on it.

Warwick is fairly grounded in his own opinions, I don't know if you saw his Royal Institute lectures on TV a while back? The experiment he did with the implant in his arm was hooked up to the main nerve running down his arm leading to the hand. It wasnít extra sensory; he even used it to control a hand... So when he moved his own hand the other one moved accordingly. Nervous feedback and direct brain interfacing are not the same thing. I got an electric massager alarm clock for Christmas. When you put it on it really feels like some hands are massaging you, but thatís only because the current stimulates my muscles and nerves. Itís not sending some sort of sensory input to my brain which I perceive in a new way.

http://www.kevinwarwick.com/Cyborg2.htm

Plus our brain learns how to consciously perceive our senses, but they are still received by the brain in a fixed form. They have done tests on babies that show that even something as complicated as a silhouette resembling big cats causes a behavioural response, long before itís possible for a baby to ďseeĒ a cat.
« Last Edit: 15/01/2006 21:57:46 by Ultima »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 21/01/2006 11:42:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

There is a professor KEVIN Warwick at Reading university who temporally interfaced electronic motion detectors to his central nervous system that worked in the same way as those that bats use to echo locate. They worked and  gave him an extra sense while the experiment took place.

That's right. We interviewed Kevin Warwick on The Naked Scientists last year.

On this show he discussed the various implications of this sort of work. It's worth a listen. The MP3 is available for download from the show page.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 21/01/2006 11:42:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums