The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why would BP try to stop research?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
Why would BP try to stop research?
« on: 17/07/2010 07:59:33 »
I just heard a rather paranoid researcher talking about the oil spill in the Gulf. He wants to study what the oil does and where it goes in the water. He seemed very paranoid to me, describing fears that the oil companies might decide to suddenly have critical things they would need to do just as the scientist was getting ready to do his data gathering.

Considering the benefits that BP could see as a result of his research, why would they interfere? First the oil still belongs to BP. If they can collect it, it can still be refined to make fuel. Second BP is responsible for damages caused by the oil spill. They could save millions if they can find ways to more quickly clean it up. Millions in recovering the oil and millions in preventing damage.

If I ran BP and this scientist wanted to find out how to better prevent a spill and or clean them up when they happen I'd be all over that. Hell I'd even pay for the research to be done.

Also can anyone tell me why I want to ad a "d" to the end of "oil?" Every single time I typed "oil" I added a "d" on the end.....

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17/07/2010 13:56:14 »
Anything catastrophe that is in the news will bring criticism, blame games, but most of all it brings out the politicians and nut cases shouting at each other just to hear their own voices.

The water current flow in the Gulf of Mexico is rather well documented. The fishing industry has conducted research exhaustive research as has Texas A&M University.

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/07/2010 10:13:15 »
I think this person was interested in more than how oil moves on the surface. He wanted to see how it moves vertically as well. Also some of the stuff in the oil can get into the seawater and how the oil affects the environment.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 18/07/2010 10:13:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums