The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: more bird flu  (Read 4181 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
more bird flu
« on: 15/01/2006 02:46:21 »
Why cant bird flu be transmitted between humans.
if a human catches the particular form of the virus that birds carry, then the human and the bird are both walking around with the same thing, so why cant another human catch the same thing from a human.:)

Michael                 HAPPY NEW YEAR                    
« Last Edit: 15/01/2006 04:45:37 by ukmicky »

another_someone

Re: more bird flu
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2006 12:18:26 »
I would guess that the issue is not about catching the virus as about spreading the virus.  If you had a blood transfusion from someone who had the virus, I would think you could still get ill; but people with this virus do not spread it back into the environment as efficiently as birds do.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/01/2006 15:43:03 »
but if its in their lungs and making them ill  and they sneeze then particle's of the virus will be airborne and can caught in the same way as they caught it from the bird. why do they say it has to mutate or cross with a human form of flu before it can be spread between humans, surely the fact that they caught the form of the virus that infected the  bird  means that the same strain of the virus can then be spread by them to others.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 15/01/2006 16:02:57 »
Is it from sneezing do birds sneeze?

I thought it was from handling the birds, not merely from being in close proximity.

Maybe that is the whole issue, that the possible means by which humans can spread the disease (by sneezing) is different from the way birds spread the disease, and this variant does not yet spread by sneezing.

It is also possible that the lower body temperature of humans means that although it will infect humans, it does not produce enough virus in the lungs to spread out again.

Maybe too the fact that human lungs are deeper inside our bodies (simply because we are bigger), that means the virus cannot as easily leave our lungs.

These are all maybes.  Maybe someone who knows the answer more definitely will do better.

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2006 01:39:42 »
I think I know the answer from alot of reading I have done recently on the flu variants.
H5N1 is virulent but not easily transmitted to humans. In ducks it is a disease of the digestive system and rarely harms them. In Chickens it still centers in the digestive system, and kills alot of them. In humans it damages the lungs more than other parts of the body, and kills a goodly portion of those infected. At first, researchers were saying a 50%+ mortality rate, but now they are starting to wonder if that is exaggerated, because they are finding some relatives of the victims who test positive for having had the infection, but who did not become seriously ill.
H5N1 is going to need to mutate or recombine its genes (which could happen if a human were to contract H5N1 at the same time that he has the relatively harmless H3N2 flu which is also going around right now)for it to become easily transmissible between humans. It could happen, and becomes more likely each time a human gets infected. BUT nobody has a crystal ball to know if it will happen tomorrow, or in the year 2027. Humans have a problem with dealing with risk. We either say pooh pooh and go out and get ourselves killed or we hide under a bed. The correct response would be to make preparations for a possible pandemic without panicking. There are some efforts under way to do just that.
The problem with H5N1 is that it could change into a transmissible form too quickly for us to devise a vaccine and get it out in time to do much good. Stocks of Tamiflu are inadequate, and Tamiflu may not be as effective as we think. If that happens, you will see alot of schools and businesses closing and alot of people wearing masks and avoiding other people. And human flu is usually too easily transmitted for that to be totally effective. Even if it kills only one in a hundred, do you want your child to be that one? So people will not be seen together for a while if the worst happens.

chris wiegard

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/01/2006 03:25:54 »
Cheers for that chris.  

George going by that reply, you got it right in your last post.

Bird flu is on my mind at the moment as i am going to turkey for my summer holidays so thankyou again

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 18/01/2006 03:25:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums