The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the pigments called when human skin gets tanned?  (Read 2862 times)

Gregory Shilov

Gregory Shilov  asked the Naked Scientists:
   Hi Chris, I would like to know several things about human skin. (It is a good show keep it up).

What are the pigments called when human skin gets tanned?

P.S: I would like to know when your next podcast will be on.

Thank you,

Gregory Shilov.
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 18/07/2010 23:30:02 by _system »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline sittingoverhere

• View Profile
    • Disease of the Week
« Reply #2 on: 17/08/2010 04:38:20 »
I get that melanin is the colour but what about 'tanned' skin? What is it about UV exposure that seems to darken skin tones? I'm sure I know but cant put my finger on the explanation.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/08/2010 09:29:05 »
I get that melanin is the colour but what about 'tanned' skin? What is it about UV exposure that seems to darken skin tones? I'm sure I know but cant put my finger on the explanation.

Um, not entirely sure what you mean... but tanned skin is just overproduction of melanin via melanosomes. Well actually overproduction isn't the right word, it is production in response to DNA damage,triggering protection of the nucleus in the epidermis.
Other than the nitty gritty of biochemical synthesis of it, I am not sure what you can't put finger on! If it is the latter I may well have to dig the textbooks out to answer it!

Offline sittingoverhere

• View Profile
    • Disease of the Week
« Reply #4 on: 18/08/2010 06:49:21 »
tanned skin is just overproduction of melanin via melanosomes. Well actually overproduction isn't the right word, it is production in response to DNA damage,triggering protection of the nucleus in the epidermis
Nope that answers it. I figured that UV must be doing something to the lower cells and an increase in melanin as a reult of DNA damage in response to incident UV seems to tick many boxes.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 18/08/2010 06:49:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums