The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could flu be transmitted sexually?  (Read 23581 times)

Brian Jacobs

Could flu be transmitted sexually?
« on: 19/07/2010 12:30:03 »
Brian Jacobs  asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Chris,

It is common cause that there are a number of diseases which can be transmitted from one individual to another because of unprotected sex.

My question is whether the diseases that can and are transmitted are restricted to those that are mostly publicised or could the flu be transmitted from one person to the other through unprotected sex?

Thanks,

Brian. H. Jacobs

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 19/07/2010 12:30:03 by _system »

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: 22/07/2010 23:00:55 »
Brian Jacobs  asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Chris,

It is common cause that there are a number of diseases which can be transmitted from one individual to another because of unprotected sex.

My question is whether the diseases that can and are transmitted are restricted to those that are mostly publicised or could the flu be transmitted from one person to the other through unprotected sex?

So long as your condom doesn't fall off your nose during intercourse, your partner should not catch the flu. Try not to sneeze at the point of orgasm.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/07/2010 19:21:31 »
Brian Jacobs  asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Chris,

Thanks,

Brian. H. Jacobs

What do you think?

I am not 100% on this, but to my knowledge the 'flu virus is not able to survive in the mucosal environment of the reproductive tract, it is not it's natural habitat and it does not infect those cells.
It is designed to live happily in the respiratory tract and is spread by sneezing, coughing and close contact with an infected person. Given that sex usually requires people to be pretty close it could be passed on easily, but not necessarily sexually! 

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/07/2010 07:27:29 »
If your idea of sex involves not kissing then you may not catch it.

In the real world of non commercial sex, that's not the way it usually goes.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 24/07/2010 07:27:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums