The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does Hunger Really Make Food Taste Nicer ?..Or Is It An Illusuion ?  (Read 3244 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Tasterologists and thoie with a degrees in tasteology…

…..As a sheepy I of course just luff to taste stuff.........Tasting stuff is my all time favourite hobby that accompanies my other hobby which is eating. Out of all the tasting and eating things one can do..consuming nutritional bio-matter is right up there amongst the top !!.......  I luff to eat.......ewe luff to eat......we all luff to eat. The person who invented eating deserves some kind of award.......perhaps a pie or two !

Look, here I am with some chums eating.......I’m the one eating a lite snack……unlike my chums whom have not yet developed a taste for the finer things in life.....

Me Eating A Soupcon Of A Snack

Ok, I sheepose it’s about time I got to the actual kweschun yes?..I mean I have places to go, people to see…ewe’s to service…..

What I would like to know is....Does food actually taste better when ewe are hungry ?....or is it a state of mind ?……do ewe think our taste buds really do “taste” more flavour when we are hungry ? or is the flavour the same ? and that the satiation of the hunger just gives the illusion of extra flavour ?

Whajafink ?

Ewe see..I don’t know….I’d like to know and knowing what I do not know will help me know the non-knowable.....which is nice !

As a firm believer in empirical study I snuck into my neighbours house last night at 3am and he (without reluctance or struggle) obligingly let me chloroform him so that I could (with his non protestation) tie him to a chair. Since last night I have been feeding him (with his consent) baked beans.....we’re up to three cases right now......He is so happy because the tears of joy and rumbling of his tummy and enlarged waistline are an indication that he wants more,  even though he may be fitted with a one way valve taped to his mouth he has exhibited all the classic signs of joy and glee by singing warrior songs in a garbled way “pllleeessshhssttooppp  plleeeeesshhtoppppp…nooooooooooooaarrggghhhhhh” he keeps on chanting merrily...To me, this means “I’m happy please feed me more”......after tonight though I will cease feeding him and not feed him for another week or two......maybe three......perhaps eight !!....and will record in detail the differences in his tasting responses.......until then though.....Can ewe help ?

Hugs and shmishes

Mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Taster Enquirer
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 19/07/2010 20:35:45 by neilep »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Your neighbour will also be able to participate in some empirical study regarding the question of the week.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=32920.0;topicseen

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
This phenomenon is called alliesthesia.

I believe that if you are hungry, you will produce more saliva too if you see or smell a food. Saliva contains digestive enzymes too, so more enzymes can lead to more food fragments and more tastes for the taste buds.
With more saliva the mixing and the distribution of different chemicals in the mouth will be easier too, and the material of the saliva itself can be important too.

But you realise that there is no such thing as "taste" out there, do you? It's like sound. As the air's vibration is translated to sound in your brain, chemicals in your mouth is translated to a sensation, taste.

So my answer is in both cases:
1. yes, food tastes better in your mind if you are hungry
2. yes, there are a bigger variety of chemicals contacting your "taste receptors" on your tongue when you are hungry.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Mmmm - but I have heard (I think on the NS podcast) that the vast majority of what we think of as taste is actually smell.  Not sure how increased salivary enzymes would boost this.

Matthew

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
The same can be imagined with the olfactory system too. If you are hungry your smelling has to be more sensitive, to find a food source. This will bring more smell sensations too, that will complete a rich savour.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums