The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the Trinity Nuclear Test site like today?  (Read 5683 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
On the 16th of July 1945, the project code name Trinity was put into action.  Trinity was the first test of an atomic bomb, the first nuclear weapon.   Sixty five years on, the test site is hard to access and rarely visited, but journalist and author David Wolman risked the radiation to find out more about this historic site.
Read a transcript of the interview by clicking here

or Listen to it now or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 20/07/2010 17:41:49 by _system »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What is the Trinity Nuclear Test site like today?
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2010 22:43:09 »
...and it's not much more radioactive than Aberdeen!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 21/07/2010 17:07:29 »
I'm not sure that saying the Trinity Test Site is 'hard' to access is the right way to put - it has open days where the public can visit it, but these open days only occur twice a year (wikipedia reckons they're on the first Saturdays of April and October).

The wikipedia article also says that the residual radiation level is about ten times 'normal' and a one hour visit to the site would give you about half of your 'normal' daily dose.  Note that 'normal' isn't quantified here though.

Places located on granite will have higher than 'normal' levels of radiation and as there is some granite around Aberdeen, Geezer's comment might be close to the truth.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2010 17:38:24 »
Places located on granite will have higher than 'normal' levels of radiation and as there is some granite around Aberdeen, Geezer's comment might be close to the truth.

I believe Aberdeen has about double the average level for the UK. A lot of it comes from the buildings. Grey granite was a common building material there, hence the handle - "The Granite City".

Offline ori

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2010 21:13:50 »
The story is really nice (I like the "sooo sunny" aspect of it). There is, however, one point I don't understand: how can a desertic site become one of the richest spots in terms of biodiversity (even if left alone for 60 years)?

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #5 on: 23/07/2010 02:03:42 »

I believe Aberdeen has about double the average level for the UK. A lot of it comes from the buildings. Grey granite was a common building material there, hence the handle - "The Granite City".

Aha! - I hadn't thought of that.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 23/07/2010 02:03:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length