The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Brave guy; I wonder if he works for a Danish newspaper...?  (Read 17671 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Last Edit: 21/07/2010 22:39:06 by chris »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Google translates this bit above the viewer:

אהבת? באפשרותך לקבל מיילים בנושאים שמעניינים אותך ישירות לתיבת הדואר שלך, לחץ כאן כדי להירשם
תגובה בריטית לדרישות האיסלאם באירופה- מעניין!!

as

"Love? You can get emails on topics that interest you directly to your inbox, click here to register
British response to the demands of Islam in Europe - interesting!"

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Brave is one word.  Ignorant is another.

Apparently, (his words in one video) "their [Islamic] religion murdered hundreds of people on 9/11".

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists

Apparently, (his words in one video) "their [Islamic] religion murdered hundreds of people on 9/11".

Yeah, you're right, I think the number was actually thousands.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Brave guy; I wonder if he works for a Danish newspaper...?
« Reply #4 on: 22/07/2010 02:23:08 »
Mr Condell is an equal-oppertunity blasphemer: he has a go at Christianity too ... http://il.youtube.com/user/patcondell#p/a/u/1/eBrmH2pCmyM

[ I doubt he'll be queuing up to see The Pope in September ]

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/07/2010 03:32:51 »

Lets get something straight here. We of Europe and America are woefully ignorant of the rest of the world. Being Muslim does not make one a terrorist. A radical sect within Wahhabism, makes one a terrorist. (Wahhabism, itself only originating in the late 1800's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabi) This terrorist philosophy is a radical Muslim Cult, very similar in philosophical nature to the philosophy of the Nazis that most people who are Christian abhor.

All Christians are not not Nazi or Catholic or Anglican or Pentecostal.  Nor are all Muslim terrorist.

IMHO, painting any one religion - or lack of one - with a broad brush is just uninformed bigotry.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/07/2010 03:36:23 »

I'm 100% with you, JimBob.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #7 on: 22/07/2010 11:16:27 »
What is the view of people about the World Trade Centre site mosque proposal?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7731852/Ground-Zero-mosque-plan-angers-New-Yorkers.html

The intention is to better interface islam and the US.

Chris

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #8 on: 22/07/2010 14:10:34 »

Lets get something straight here. We of Europe and America are woefully ignorant of the rest of the world. Being Muslim does not make one a terrorist. A radical sect within Wahhabism, makes one a terrorist. (Wahhabism, itself only originating in the late 1800's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabi) This terrorist philosophy is a radical Muslim Cult, very similar in philosophical nature to the philosophy of the Nazis that most people who are Christian abhor.

All Christians are not not Nazi or Catholic or Anglican or Pentecostal.  Nor are all Muslim terrorist.
IMHO, painting any one religion - or lack of one - with a broad brush is just uninformed bigotry.

That's kind'a the point I was trying to make.

What is the view of people about the World Trade Centre site mosque proposal?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7731852/Ground-Zero-mosque-plan-angers-New-Yorkers.html

Agreed, building a mosque within a stones throw of the twin towers site doesn't seem particularly bright, but comparing it to idea to 'building a German cultural centre at Auschwitz' is hardly a fair comparison.
More like building a cathedral at Antioch after the Crusades. Perhaps, less so as most people back in England supported the Crusades.
« Last Edit: 22/07/2010 15:00:59 by peppercorn »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/07/2010 16:15:00 »
See! This is why, if it were up to me, all religions would be proscribed. They only serve to pit humans against other humans, and it always ends up in a fight that nobody can win.

When I establish my colony on the planet Pikemagnus Alpha, there will only be one deity - bet you can't guess who  [:0]

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22/07/2010 17:20:22 »

Yeah, you're right, I think the number was actually thousands.

yh, cz of some ignorant Muslims thousands died in 9/11 and cz of other ignorant people millions died in countries like Afghanistan & Iraq and yet none of them give up
« Last Edit: 22/07/2010 17:24:05 by omid »

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22/07/2010 17:21:49 »
See! This is why, if it were up to me, all religions would be proscribed. They only serve to pit humans against other humans, and it always ends up in a fight that nobody can win.

Thank you Geezer
omid completely agrees with you

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22/07/2010 17:51:10 »
When I establish my colony on the planet Pikemagnus Alpha, there will only be one deity - bet you can't guess who  [:0]

Mrs Geezer?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22/07/2010 17:53:26 »

Mrs Geezer?

Omid got it!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22/07/2010 18:11:17 »
I do a lot of work in schools with children and teachers on the dangers of stereotyping. I show pictures of 15 people and ask the children to decide who they think is famous or infamous for doing or being certain things. When I ask "who is the terrorist?" they always pick the Muslim man. The picture I use is of Cat Stephens or Yusef Islam as he is now. The real one is a white male (Soho Bomber.) I ask them "who is a member of a violent extremist group?" They pick a young Muslim man when the real one is Senator Byrd. There are many more examples but they always stereotype and they are really shocked when I reveal the correct person.

I think the fact that many Muslim people were killed in the twin towers means that a Mosque near the site is perfectly exceptable. It is time we all work together to solve the problems of extremism otherwise we just fan the flames.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #15 on: 22/07/2010 19:30:32 »
Make it Lady, when I see a church go up in Saudi, I'll agree with you...

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22/07/2010 19:40:23 »
Saudi is quite extreme!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22/07/2010 19:46:50 »
Coming soon to an Islamic country near you!
http://islam.about.com/od/saudiarabia/i/ksachurch.htm

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22/07/2010 20:19:25 »
Please  - learn about the issues. Even in Saudi Arabia people are able to worship privately another religion. In all other countries that I am are of other faiths openly co-exist IN PUBLIC WORSHIP within the Muslim community.

Two other faiths are specifically mentioned in the Qur'an as "People of the Book." These are Judaism and Christianity. As the precursors of the Muslim faith, all, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, are derived from the monotheistic faith of Abraham.

People of the Book who are non-Muslim living in a dominantly Muslim society are called "dhimmi" and are protected under Sharia law.

The less tolerant stance of the Saudi Wahhabist is the exception, not the rule, in Muslim countries.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22/07/2010 21:48:28 »
This what my link says JimBob.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #20 on: 22/07/2010 22:28:14 »
I think the key point is in the first line of that article: "[Islam is]...the only [religion] permitted to be worshipped publicly."

Maybe I'm getting this wrong, but that doesn't sound very tolerant and accepting of other faiths does it?

And with this in mind one must then ask where the money is coming from to fund this new "cultural centre" in New York, akin to the "mega mosque" that had been proposed for London's east end? Answer to both...Saudi Arabia.

In other words, the same country that won't let any other religions be practised publicly except Islam (and are considered "extreme" by some, requoting the phrase used above) is also bank-rolling this New York "Cardoba House" initiative.

Now maybe I'm being naive, but is no one at all uncomfortable with that? Does no one think that at least some more questions ought to be asked first?

Because usually when someone pays for something - including a $100 million building - there are strings attached.

Or am I seeing smoke with no fire?

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22/07/2010 23:15:44 »
I think if we keep showing tolerance eg. not banning the Bhurka in the UK, then eventually you will wear down the Saudi leadership. I hope the Church will be built in Saudi and I hope some of the laws concerning women are slackened in Saudi, but we won't get anywhere with diplomacy if we don't model the behaviour we want from others. If the Saudis are pay rolling these mega mosques then we need to remind them of our tolerance not stop them from doing it.   

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #22 on: 23/07/2010 21:54:25 »
If a regime won't tolerate letting their own women wear the same clothing as men without being called a whore and stoned to death, or allow people to follow whatever religion they chose, despite the example set by the rest of the world for decades, it seems very optimistic to presume that they'll suddenly evolve into tolerant types because we welcome the erection of another mosque sited in a very poignant place and opened at a very poignant time.

In fact, rather than displaying any trace of tolerance, this instead smacks of bloody mindedness and a complete disregard for the feelings of others.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23/07/2010 22:08:13 »
If a regime won't tolerate letting their own women wear the same clothing as men without being called a whore and stoned to death, or allow people to follow whatever religion they chose, despite the example set by the rest of the world for decades, it seems very optimistic to presume that they'll suddenly evolve into tolerant types because we welcome the erection of another mosque sited in a very poignant place and opened at a very poignant time.

In fact, rather than displaying any trace of tolerance, this instead smacks of bloody mindedness and a complete disregard for the feelings of others.

I agree. This is simply pissing on the graves of the people who died on 9/11, and they know it full well. If they had any compassion, they would not even consider such a scheme.

(I am slightly biased of course because, only by luck, I was not blown up by the bomb at the WTC in 1993.)

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24/07/2010 12:00:08 »
Make it Lady, when I see a church go up in Saudi, I'll agree with you...

Forget a Church they don't even allow a non-Muslim to even step in, in the Holy city of Makkah.
it used to be the Capital of Suadi but becuase of the visit of non-Muslims leaders from rest of the world they changed the Capital to Riyadh because they just couldn't afford a non-Muslim in the Holy city of Makkah.
« Last Edit: 24/07/2010 13:06:32 by omid »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 24/07/2010 12:00:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums